FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Downloads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downloads
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
Yesterday I got the new album by LONDON GRAMMAR on vinyl and it came with a download code so today I tried to redeem it. No luck the 1st time I tried so I tried again and again the 3rd time it said that the code has been used, but I don't have the download so I'm not happy.
This is not the 1st time this as happened to me and when I connect the company by Email I some times get a reply and a new way of doing it But not always, but when I do I still don't get my download I then just give up.
Has anyone else had this trouble.
Now this may have been covered before (may be by me) but I could not find it so SORRY if it has. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Yesterday I got the new album by LONDON GRAMMAR on vinyl and it came with a download code so today I tried to redeem it. No luck the 1st time I tried so I tried again and again the 3rd time it said that the code has been used, but I don't have the download so I'm not happy.
This is not the 1st time this as happened to me and when I connect the company by Email I some times get a reply and a new way of doing it But not always, but when I do I still don't get my download I then just give up.
Has anyone else had this trouble.
Now this may have been covered before (may be by me) but I could not find it so SORRY if it has. 

I've had issues with download codes when I buy an album a year or more after it came out. Typically download codes are only going to work for a limited amount of time, because the record company doesn't want to pay for the server space.

It sounds like you're having a technical issue though. Is your internet connection spotty by chance? Before I had my old router swapped for a new one by my ISP, I had constant problems with random WIFI dropouts. If you redeem a code, and your connection drops out during the process, you typically will run out of attempts after 1 or 2 tries because of the way things are set up on the label end.

If the artist has their own website, maybe try contacting them instead of the label.

IME indie labels are much more responsive when it comes to issues like this vs. the majors. I've even had indie labels give me FLAC downloads simply by showing them I purchased the record, even if was never meant to come with a download code in the first place.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:52pm
David
your probable right on this occasion, I do have internet problems at the moment. You are also right about indie label I don't seem to have as many problems with them and also they tend to give you the better quality downloads too. there is one label I have had a lot of records off (can't remember off hand) that even store what you have had off them so that if you lose your music you can download it again, I think it's only once more but it's better than nothing. IT seems to me that the small indie labels appreciate you more for spending that bit extra on vinyl records. I have even had a CD put in with the RECORDS that I have bought too which I would prefer more than a download, again indie labels. Putting a CD with the Vinyl to me says how cheap CDs must be to manufacture. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

David
your probable right on this occasion, I do have internet problems at the moment. You are also right about indie label I don't seem to have as many problems with them and also they tend to give you the better quality downloads too. there is one label I have had a lot of records off (can't remember off hand) that even store what you have had off them so that if you lose your music you can download it again, I think it's only once more but it's better than nothing. IT seems to me that the small indie labels appreciate you more for spending that bit extra on vinyl records. I have even had a CD put in with the RECORDS that I have bought too which I would prefer more than a download, again indie labels. Putting a CD with the Vinyl to me says how cheap CDs must be to manufacture. 

I would talk to your ISP about troubleshooting the internet issues. Over here my building was wired for fiber optic connection, so we switched to that service from a cable modem service. The problem was the routers they initially gave everyone were total junk, and half-crap rigged with an adapter box to work with fiber optic. After complaining regularly to the ISP I eventually figured out they were giving new customers a new router specifically designed for fiber. I demanded one of those routers, but it was a pain getting them to agree. Everything works so much better now it's not even funny.

RE: CDs as extras with records, I do appreciate that and wish more labels would do it. How much it costs to make a CD depends on the quantity. The more manufactured, the cheaper they are to make. Of course I am talking about making the physical product only, not mastering, graphic design, extra special packaging, or royalties/licensing paid to the rights holder or artists. All those other costs will far exceed the cost of making a plastic and metal disc.

Anyway, one thing you may notice is that some newer CDs by small scale indie artists aren't glass mastered CDs at all - they are professionally duplicated CDRs. Sometimes certain labels will hide this by using a black surface at the bottom or even a silver surface instead of the blue-greenish dye. One of my friends does the pro-CDR thing for his limited releases which are usually done in copies of 25-50.

Making vinyl is a lot more expensive, and he's doing that now also. However, it's not the cost of pressing each record that drives things up, it's every part of the process that you need to do in order to get each record pressed. Mastering, lacquer or DMM cutting, plating, jackets, etc. all drive up the cost before we get to royalties or license fees. The actual raw cost of just pressing each record is only a few dollars. However, you can't make a record without all that other stuff.

That's why it will cost you around $3,000 on the low end to get say 200-250 single LPs made before a single cent of royalties/licensing fees are paid. This is a bare bones deal. Add in a "name" mastering engineer, a real lacquer cut instead of assembly line DMM, tip-on jackets, etc. and the cost quickly goes up. Better plants also charge more than the budget places.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:15pm
Me again David
Just read my Emails and the label have asked me to send them Pictures of the album cover and download code so I have, so I'm hoping this issue will be sorted
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
David
My internet issue is down to the router, I am waiting for my internet provider to send me a new one but if they are anything like my old provider this may take a while. Over here in UK company's are quick to take your money but not so quick to sort out any issues you have. I am not saying they are all like because when I had a problem with my mobile phone last year the company sorted it all out and sent me a new phone with in less than 48hrs, They may not be the cheapest but when I have had problems they have been quick to sort it out that's why I have stayed with them for many many years, Not that I have had many problems with their phones or service 
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:03am
If problems persist, it may also be worth trying a different browser.  For myself, Firefox tends to work for most sites but I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to switch to Chrome.  You may also want to allow popups for the site in question.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic