FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

DIY Cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
izafireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 5:45pm
Hi Graham

Just saw your questions.
Room 14 ft x 15 ft. House is an old cottage so one wall is cob which is basically a 22 inch thick wall made of mud and straw/flint with a lime plaster surface. The wall in front of the speakers but several feet in front of them is plaster board. The wall to the rear of the speakers and one side is solid brick with plaster board on top, the rear being double boarded and then any hollow sounding voids or areas of resonance were drilled then filled with expanding foam to deaden them. Ceiling is double sheet plaster board with close gap joists and over the top with regards to screws to ensure it was solid. Floor is concrete and carpeted.

The speakers are forward of a chimney breast, I did have them at the side of it but there was a huge hole in the sound stage. So they are around 33 inches forward of it and the left speaker is (as you look at them is 24 inches from the side wall and the right speaker is 34 inches from the other side wall. Yes I know that is an imbalance but the chimney breast is not central in the room, afraid 200 years ago when it was built they seem not to have tape measures...or spirit levels )).. the joys of a cottage.

I would say the room as far as the sound waves going forward is ''clean'' with no obstructions apart from a coffee table way below the level of the speakers. Very few soft furnishings apart from two sofas and a rug.....the advantages of being single...no clutter ))

Edited by izafireman - 15 Jul 2017 at 6:19pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:24am
Ceiling height?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 4:58pm
Hi Graham, apologies ...been at work but it is 7ft 7 high.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:45pm
My thought is that tweaks like the ones you described have a greater bearing on the sound in a room which has "problems" than they do in a room having "the right" acoustics.

By "problems" you can see what they are using this calculator http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm and inputting the measurements 10 x 10 x 10 (in feet) and click the "compute imperial" button. The problems with those dimensions are really bad.

Then try your dimensions. Not at all as bad, but it can be seen there are quite a few frequencies which are close together. Look down the frequency list and see the percentage differences between a particular frequency and the one preceding it. Anything less than 5% shows a concentration of frequencies which mean at the centre frequency of each bunch there is reinforcement.

Unless you are very lucky or build a room to one of a number of particular room ratios, you will always have some problem frequencies.

Some amplification equipment, including preamp stages in transports, can have microphonics and might be susceptible to some frequencies. Isolating them may result in a perceived improvement.

This might go some way in answering why such tweaks work for some and not others. What's snake oil to some might work well for others.

I found by replacing my desk in my "new listening room" that the sound improved, but not enough for the type of testing I am now doing. For that I had to build a room to specific dimensions. Luckily I had the space to do it.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:27pm
Thanks for taking the time to do a reply Graham and it make sense to me regarding what you say about the tweaks. Would you suggest there is anything else I can do to improve things? Such as furnishings behind the speakers which presently is bare plasterboard. Though I forgot to mention that since tweaking the system the bass has changed considerably as it used to be quite boomy at times.

I did start my own listening room by converting my annex which was something like 18 metre by 5 but my situation changed and I had to put a tenant in there.

But with regards to my room now the 'acid test' will of course be when I get my turntable back with the upgrades.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by izafireman - 16 Jul 2017 at 10:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:35pm
Just a thought Graham....what would be the perfect room ie dimensions and materials as in years to come I might downsize and possibly sell my present house build a house next to mine on the land at the side.

Thanks

Pete
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:09am
Most interesting calculator? Whilst not matching the ideal/good example my room isn't that far of the example shown. I do have three variations to the profile (large bay which may speakers sit part way in, relatively slim fire place down one side and a narrowing at the listening end by about 35cm).

I have stuffered some bass issues in the past but tuning have largely eliminated them.

Have found such tweaks like supports have made quite a big diffference but maybe not as pronounced as descriptor here. I suppose heavy resonances can interfere with vibrations but in my experiences the differences are more noticeable as theses have been illuminated as they are not overshadowing or masking the effects.

I will remeasure when I have more time to see if the calculator reads the same just in case of any errors.
Given a close relative is moving shortly I will feed this in to his house proposal!

Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic