FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Distortion cd UHQCD (Ultimate High Quality Cd)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vincenzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vincenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:28am
Hello, sorry for the delay and thank you for your help and participation in my (problem).
So, this cd feels bad not on all tracks but the first 6, in all there are 18.
The others feel good and they feel spectacular, but since I paid € 64 there I expect them all to play perfectly.
Obviously, I also tried it on my PC with headphones and the problem is the same.
Amp. Musical Fidelity M6si,Turntables VPI Scout Signature, Cartridges Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Graham Slee Accession MC, Speakers Triangle Esprit Antal Ez, Cables VAN DEN HUL D-502 Hybrid,ATLAS Equator
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:55am
Not mentioned but you probably tried this straightaway... Can you see any physical marks on the CD surface Vincenzo? And are those first six tracks noticeably louder than the other twelve?

This is just curiosity on my part and you have my sympathy. If it were me I would get the disk replaced and a refund if the same fault is present on the new disk.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
If the others are OK then it has to be this disk as Jon as said, replace or refund. As I said I didn't read all of the article about these CDs so I'll read up a bit more on them. Again there is a debate on weather they do sound any better. How much more (cost) are they compared to a normal CD you said 64 euros was that for all of them or just the one, just curious.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:21pm
Vincenzo
Didn't read your post properly 64 Euros was for one disk. I'm interested, how much more is it compared to a normal CD?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Vincenzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vincenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 2:23pm
Hello, to answer a little to everyone. The cd is not scratched. The € 64 is for a single CD. The noise is heard only in the first tracks and therefore I think it is only a problem of this cd. I have already contacted the seller who gave me the maximum availability for the exchange or refund. However for half the price you get an excellent SACD that sounds great too. Thank you guys.
Amp. Musical Fidelity M6si,Turntables VPI Scout Signature, Cartridges Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Graham Slee Accession MC, Speakers Triangle Esprit Antal Ez, Cables VAN DEN HUL D-502 Hybrid,ATLAS Equator
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 4:19pm
From what I have read about UHQCD disks it's in the way they are made that make them different other than that they are like standard CDs it is something about the material they are made from. As with SACDs you have to have a CD player that can read SACD (not sure but if your player can't read the SACD part then all you get is standard CD sound) That's why if you rip UHQCD you only get a CD quality rip.
 This is a interesting I have to read up more on this subject.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:05pm
Did some research on UHQCD and it made my brain hurt. 1st of all what they are made of, instead of Polycarbonate they use Photopolymer plus they use a better quality Aluminium in the manufacturing
Photopolymer is a liquid but under curtain light it turns solid, got that out the way.
Now for the bit that made my brain hurt.
There seems to be a lot of different CD formats some are red book standard and others are not, Here is just a few. JVC-XRCD, Gold MFSL CD, HQCD, Hi-Res MQA x U and MQA-CD x UHQDE. From my understanding MQA is a encoding for which you need a DAC capable in reading it, This is what I don't understand because they say you need a DAC capable of reading MQA to get the full benefit out of a UHQCD disk, this to me is not a red book CD so I'm beginning to think there is some confusion here. What all this is saying to me is they are trying to make what some are saying is a dying format (CD) last a bit longer, Remember Philips with compact cassette they came out with Digital Compact cassette.
Had a look on Am---n and UHQCDs start at £25 up to £45 per disk, I think I'll stick with good old CD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic