FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Distorted cymbals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distorted cymbals
    Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 1:41pm
I have yet another annoying vinyl problem. On nearly all my rock and metal records, loud cymbal crashes are distorted. It seems my system is unable to reproduce cymbals clearly and I can not figure out what part of the chain is to blame. Yes, my tracking force is already set to the highest recommended value, and my cartridge was installed and adjusted by a dealer with more than 20 years of experience.

Is it my cartridge that distorts and is unable to handle the loud peaks created by cymbal crashes?

Or is the vinyl format inherently unable to reproduce cymbals clearly, due to the RIAA encoding that boosts treble by 20 db during cutting? Imagine the beating the cutter head takes when cutting a record containing loud cymbals. In which case, it leads me to think that the distortion was cut into the groove.

A third possibility, since most of my records were purchased used and most of them are from the 1980s: since the high frequencies are the first thing that suffer and show signs of distortion when a record gets worn, the distorted cymbals I am hearing on my rock albums could simply be due to the fact that my records are getting worn out?

robinje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Analog Kid Analog Kid wrote:

Or is the vinyl format inherently unable to reproduce cymbals clearly, due to the RIAA encoding that boosts treble by 20 db during cutting? Imagine the beating the cutter head takes when cutting a record containing loud cymbals. In which case, it leads me to think that the distortion was cut into the groove.

A third possibility, since most of my records were purchased used and most of them are from the 1980s:

I can assure you of one thing...  the 'vinyl format' is not the problem.  Your problem is either your system, or inherent in your 80's rock/metal recordings, which very typically are poorly recorded, overly compressed, and otherwise electronically manipulated.  Not to criticize your genre choices at all, but remember the saying...  garbage in, garbage out!  Try some well known high quality pressings (there's even a Megadeth Mobile Fidelity vinyl remaster available) so that you can eliminate the recording quality as a factor in the poor sounds you are hearing.  What about your system?  Have you played around with VTA?  The tonearm too high can result in excessive siblance and harsh cymbal sounds.  Perhaps try lowering the rear of the tonearm relative to the record surface would help.  Also, why use the highest tracking force?  Experiment wthin the cartridge manufacturer's specified range to find the optimum.  Just because someone has 20 years of experience doesn't mean they know how to set up a turntable properly.  They may have been doing it wrong all these years!  I suggest taking matters into your own hands and learning to set it up yourself, then you know it will be done right.  There are plenty of online resources available, and it can be fun.  Setting up a turntable is not brain surgery or rocket science, and there's no magic involved as far as I'm aware...  Tongue

Edited by robinje - 05 Nov 2009 at 2:28pm
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:23pm
What TT and cartridge do you use? And which phonopreamp?

Edited by Cyreg - 05 Nov 2009 at 6:23pm
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 12:45am
@Robin: thanks for the response. No, I have never tried experimenting with the Vertical Tracking Angle. The problem is that, like with the excessive brightness which I experience on many of my LPs, but not on others, this problem with distorted cymbals occurs on many of my albums, but not on others. A good example is the re-issue of Led Zeppelin's "Presence" album by Classic Records on 200-gram vinyl, which has some of the loudest cymbals I have heard in a rock recording. On that LP the cymbals sound clear and undistorted on my system.

I use a high tracking force to improve the tracking and thereby to reduce inner groove distortion.

I agree, sadly most hard rock and metal is very poorly recorded, and often over-processed.

@Cyreg:

Pro-Ject RPM4 turntable, Audio-Technica AT150MLX moving magnet cartridge with Micro-Line stylus, and Reflex. So basically: low-end turntable, medium-end cartridge and high-end phono stage.

For now I will blame the problem on my cartridge and on the specific records this problem occurs on.

Edited by Analog Kid - 07 Nov 2009 at 1:09am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 3:12am

No, I have never tried experimenting with the Vertical Tracking Angle.

If I ask you kindly, will you?

Increasing tracking force (weight) pushes the stylus upwards thus making the VTA angle less.

Did that improve things?

If so, then you will need to adjust the VTA in the same direction.

One could conceivably increase the tracking force instead but eventually you would run out of suspension.

You may also like to read this article http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

If the VTA is too high (the back end of the arm too high) contact is lost with the groove apart from the highs!

With my AT OC9 set to the correct VTA arm height wise, but set to a lower tracking force, I had fierce brightness. The same situation but in reverse.

After setting the tracking force as well, the fierce brightness was gone.

However, it may be worth noting, that in my opinion, Japanese hi-fi gear sounds bright...

It's all down to cultural differences. Without wanting to upset our valued Japanese customers, bass notes are hardly popular in traditional or classical Japanese music!

Therefore, the VTA may have to be set lower still! Stern%20Smile

EDIT: After reading the above TNT Audio article, I realised that the arm centre of gravity would also have a bearing on the sound, the Technics I use quite a lot having a high centre of gravity gleaned from that article. I set mine to perfectly level (the visible line on the cartridge), then reduced the tracking force to 1.3 grams (OC9), and the tonal balance was more acceptable - still a tad piercing at times, but as the rest of the range was louder, I could turn down the volume such that I wasn't overdriving my ears, and the piercing brightness usually attached to this cartridge was much reduced - and the bass deeper and more full too. I just set the Technics adjuster ring to 3.5 and had to turn the volume down again, but now it sounds more real. The test record? Mike Oldfield "Ommadawn" - Mike Oldfield - King of scream! You see, I test with real records and when anybody has a problem I always choose the real screamers.

Edited by Graham Slee - 08 Nov 2009 at 5:03am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

No, I have never tried experimenting with the Vertical Tracking Angle.

If I ask you kindly, will you?

Sure, I will try. But that article was a long-winded confusing pointless mess:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

I read all of it, but learned nothing from it. It left me with more questions than answers.

So I have the tracking force set to 1.65 grams (range is 0.75 g to 1.75 g). To compensate for the change in VTA, do I have to lower the back of the arm or raise it?

I thought the goal was to get the arm exactly parallel to the record, and it does look parallel, which is why I never touched the VTA.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:43am
Also see this...

There is another angle to all this which hit me as I was writing up the new Jazz Club phono preamp page soon to appear at the gspaudio website...

"Even some modern pressings can benefit by applying the 10kHz NAB cut (-16dB) instead of RIAA (-13.7dB) - notably some toppy sounding Tamla Motown and other recordings that are unusually bright. It may not be due to record labels clinging to the older NAB EQ - it's more likely to be the generous 2dB tolerance allowed by the RIAA standard."
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic