FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digital vs Analog SetUp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:32am
Marco - thanks for listening to my YouTube videos!

The analogue v. digital debate is as pointless as the belt drive v. direct drive one! All have their adherants and detractors. I'm a direct drive and idler fan, and I'd have to agree with Kevin's suggestion of a Technics SL1210 as a very good place to start.

If you don't already have a lot of records, acquiring new or secondhand ones isn't going to be cheap, and as has been said you need to approach vinyl with a different set of expectations.

Good luck with your project!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Marco Patschinsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco Patschinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
Thanks for you reply.
I think to me the tolerance of clicks etc. depends on the music strongly on the music.
For example, i have original pressings of the Balfa Brothers or other folk music from that time, where I don't mind some noise at all.
With modern classic, like Steve Reich, where the whole music is composed around very precise shifting of melodies against each other, any surface noise or pitch instability of the deck can disturb the presentation.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 12:10pm
You also need to look at investing in a record cleaner, to keep the discs as clean as possible. I recently bought one through Ali Express, but need to change the motor as it turns the records too quickly through the ultrasonic bath. Current motor turns at 10rpm, but I am swapping it out for a 2.5 rpm motor. 

The cleaning machine will help reduce the clicks and pops, as will Grahams phono stages.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco Patschinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm
Wow - so much helpful response!
Thank you all for your deep insights!

I already own about 200 vinyls,
Not that much, but not starting from nothing either.

I had an eye on the vinyl market in the last years.
Prices for new vinyl really can get obscene.
Audiophile re-issues, pressed during full moon, packed in handmade paper and sold for 200 bucks in a limited edition of 200 copies obviously address the wealthy collector and not the music lover.
I will definitely not jump on this train!

On the other hand you can find some cool obscure old music from around the world on vinyl 
few have heard of, which you'll never find on tidal.
I have much fun in exploring new sounds, but not getting the next exclusive pressing of Dark side of the moon or Aya :-)

And beside from vinyl, I still have my car with a good sound system to listen to digital music.
(I am commenting about 1,5 hours a day.) 
So i don't necessary have to get all my music on vinyl.

Thanks for the hint with the cleaning machine!

Is there a special kind of cart or stylus, that helps to reduce the surface noise of old records? 

For the TT I decided to go for a DD.

Could you recommend the new 1210 MK7 via the old MK2 or vice versa?

The new one is about 900 € without a system, a revised old one between 6 - 900€
For the price I tend to get the new one with guarantee, but heard the quality is not as good as the old one. 

Thanks again!
regards
Marco

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:25pm
The better quality (and price) are the SL1200G and GR.
As for ild records, I have no idea. It depends on how they were played befire, as a more complex stylus shape may avoid the worn areas used with a conical stylus. It all depends....
Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco Patschinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:51pm
The G is out of range for me.
The GR is 600 bucks more then the MK7.

I just got an offer for a 1500c with Nagaoka j80BK for 1470,- €.
This is the max for me to stretch.
I could either take that offer or the GR with a cheaper card.
What would make more sense?
Is the difference that big?  

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:05pm
The SL1500 is made in Malaysia, the SL1200GR in Japan.
I think the SL1500 also has a built in phono stage. Personally I would go with the GR. You can upgrade the cartridge later, but if you buy wisely, you can get some good cartridges second hand.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic