FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Detail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detail?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 10:42am
We hear so much about detail but what does it mean?

How is it golden eared reviewers are able to retain that quotient of detail appraisal in time for their next review sample to turn up?

In the common language of England, WTF is detail?

I remember being "dragged" up the Odeon steps in my very early teens to watch The Sound of Music. Mam liked Julie Andrews, and OK, she was really clear and you heard every word sung.

I remember doing drawings at school, and being told to illustrate the detail in the feathers of the Jay (Garrulus glandarius - the Eurasian Jay so as not to be confused).

In tech drawing detail was used to illustrate a 2D drawing to give an impression as to the items real appearance, although, it was still a line drawing on paper - it could never look real!

At one time, listening to something, I was told it had great detail, and ever since I've thought of detail as all those mixed noises that can't be described as anything in particular, so when I read about detail, I think "noise" and at that point I stop reading.

And while I'm at it, what are crystalline highs? There are soluble and anhydrous crystals: table salt and washing soda being examples of soluble crystals; quartz and FeCl3 being anhydrous (but made by another process you can get hydrated ferric chloride).

Crystals, to me, are crunchy things, and before I forget, there's silicon carbide used for grinding and emery cloth.

If that's audiophilia, you can keep it! 
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
At the same time as a review waxes lyrical about great detail and crystalline treble, you sometimes find a complaint about shrill highs.

In audiophilia circles I've heard of lots of BS describing HF distortion and new words like sibaleance describing a kind of acceptable sibilance...

Since the earliest amplifiers engineers have struggled with sibilance and that's due to high frequency distortion. It is the reason for the "scratch filter" and that never worked either.

Why can't the industry admit it still struggles with HF distortion?

Ah, I know why. Because if you do, the idiot hi-fi buyer will blame your products instead of the culprit!

What people don't understand is that one product might overcome HF distortion but when paired with another product that hasn't, the result is HF distortion.

At least one reviewer did say "shrill highs spoil the enjoyment of music". So it is a known problem.

Some of us work virtually full time looking for the nth contributor to HF distortion, in the hopes of finding the ultimate cure.

Others are only in it for the millions.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 4:57pm
For me, detail  is the shimmering of the brush around the rim of the drum , the whistle blow of the flute mouth piece, the attack of the guitar fret board, the breath of Sarah Vaugh...."autumn in London Town" to fell the warmth of her emotional content to give colour to give reality and to make Music live around me in my listening spot ..... 
The 'detail' is evident when I moved from ''budget' equipment of Rock and Ballads music to me subtle tone of jazz, african Jazz in acoustic instruments or the 1950'S American Folk and blues guitars and the reality of the instrument may it the Armonica or flute of the guitar .....you can feel the '' Yamaya'' or "'Fender''  and you can differientiate......the tone assisted by the "detail'' trait that the Amp, b i-polar or Mosfet or Valve or other transistors design configuration .......Detail is Important to my ageing ears and my cognitive impairment 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 5:41pm
So right, Sylvain, and I was just about to move onto the different sounds that make up detail in my mind.

Crash, splash, ride, hat

There's a lot of cheap kit that will do boom-tssch, and cymbals just sound the same like high frequency white noise. HF distortion gets in the way.

Being able to hear each cymbal's timbre is delightful. Most drum kit backed songs feature a range of cymbal sounds which might be played in many different ways. A great way to pick out each cymbal is to watch a YouTube cymbal tutorial, which should explain the sounds of the crash, splash, ride, and hat cymbals. Then listen to some songs and try and pick out those sounds.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

We hear so much about detail but what does it mean?

In tech drawing detail was used to illustrate a 2D drawing to give an impression as to the items real appearance, although, it was still a line drawing on paper - it could never look real!

That take's me back, to my first job when I had to read a drawing. I've not had to do that now for well over 12 years. It was always hard work trying to tell someone that you don't look at an engineering drawing you read it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:53am
I hear the detail better than ever on an all Graham Slee system...
 MAC computer wav files on USB played thru Majestic DAC
 to Proprius amps powering 97dB/1watt speakers... WOW ! all the "detail" !
  Supertramp - Even In The Quietest Moments album - 
   03 - Even In The Quietest Moments  
      "the music that you gave me
         the language of my soul" 

thank you Graham !

Edited by BAK - 13 Sep 2022 at 2:06am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:33am
The previous posts make the case for high fidelity being clear not over etched details or a shrill sound. Over the years I have noticed people associate 'detail' with treble or presence. It leads to bright trebly sometimes shrill systems not helped by recordings with exciters/enhancers. Detail is good but only if the music sounds natural not tilted towards the treble. FWIW I try to use the word clarity instead of detail with different instruments being audible in a recording and sounding real.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic