FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Designing a Rega Rim Drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Dave Friday Dave Friday wrote:

Looks good to me,Goldring lenco made an oscillator/amp motor drive(1977 ish) that was badly distorted ( round bottom and pointed top on the signwave trace!!)

Well, the CD4000 series logic family came into being in 1968 and I got my Elektor Digibook in 1978. I knew how to shape a square wave into a sine wave by then... so perhaps it's class-A LOL

Mind you, the current state of search engines also make it difficult for the younger generation to learn the subject. Worse than Mr Paslow: ""Rondar! Untie Mr Paslow!" "But... he's told us NOTHING!" (Monty Python sketch).

I try not to publish my circuits - I don't like helping the PROC - but when I've figured out and tested the workings of what should be a simple 9V CMOS frequency counter display, I will publish it because it will otherwise never exist!!! (see my signature)

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:06am
Hopefully today will see the frequency counter circuit doing something, and if successful it will be counting the frequency the motor is running at.

Now that's OK for a techie but not for an end user who wants to know the rotation speed of the platter. 50Hz relates to 33.33 rpm only when using a turntable designed for 50Hz (230V usually) with the belt set on the appropriate pulley.

So what I need the counter to do is indicate 33.33 when the motor is receiving a frequency of 50Hz. OK, so if I clock the counter every second it will read 50, and if I extend the clock by 1.5 so it counts every 1.5 seconds it will indicate 33.33... No!

To indicate 33.33 to show what's to the right of the decimal point the clock period would have to be 150 seconds and nobody would put up with such a slow count - that's crazy!

So, to do this we have to do what all electronics engineers do under the circumstances and that's cheat! Wink

Now I will tell you where I'm getting my 50Hz from in the first place, and it's from a much higher frequency - 51,200Hz to be precise - and that's divided down 1024 times to give 50Hz using quite a clever chip which is known as a binary ripple counter. It has lots of divide by two outputs and being binary it doesn't take many stages to reach 1024 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024).

So what I have to do is use a much higher frequency into the frequency counter - and I have plenty available from the ripple counter from which to choose - and then I can set an appropriate much shorter clock period to get it to display 33.33 rpm, and then just apply a factor of 1/1.5 to get it to indicate 50 Hz.

Anyway, that's what I hope to achieve today one way or another. While I'm here I will mention another thought I had (which many others have thought about I'm sure) and that was to use a DPM chip and display. Basically a volt meter, and drive it with a frequency to voltage converter. The big problem here is scaling accuracy which depends on component accuracy, and I decided it was too much of a fiddle. It is much easier for an analogue guy to understand (like me), but as I've done the logic (dare I say digital) side of electronics (most of my early career) I'd best reawaken the grey matter!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:47pm
Looks pretty simple doesn't it (just needs the driver chips plugging in).

But flip it over and you'll see why I didn't complete the frequency counter today. What a lot of connections!

This is the display and driver part of the frequency counter - the rest is pretty simple...

As more and more things simply aren't made here anymore there is no demand for displays with built-in drivers - like there used to be - and also more and more stuff is geared to programming using PICs, so a hardware designer has to do it the hard way. However, a PCB will make it easy to build and one will be designed provided the entire design works satisfactorily.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:26am
To recap, what I want to display is 50.00Hz when the unit is outputting 50Hz to the motor, and I want a switch to put it into r.p.m. so as to indicate 33.33 rpm when it is outputting 50Hz to the motor.

For 60Hz operation, I want to display 60.00Hz when the unit is outputting 60Hz to the motor, and I want the switch to put it into r.p.m. so as to indicate 33.33 rpm when it is outputting 60Hz to the motor.

Hope you're following?

Now, 50.00 is simply 5000 with a decimal point after the second digit, and so are all the other numbers I want it to read out.

So when it's doing 50.00Hz I need a signal that's doing near to 5000 oscillations a second, and in fact if it's a little less than a second all the better because the display could flicker if the time interval is too long.

My master clock runs at 51,200Hz and is divided down 1028 times for 50Hz. So if I divide by 8 I get 6400 and if I set the time interval at 0.78125 seconds it should read out 5000 (6400 x 0.78125 = 5000). Great!

So looking for the divide by 8 output I realise I bought the wrong binary ripple counter. Unhappy

But never mind, there is a replacement (a 4040) which will do both of the functions I need.

But for the time being to get this working I need a divide by 8 circuit, and I'll have to make this by using 3 of 4 available flip-flops from a 4013. In fact I could replace the binary ripple counter with 3 4013s if I were so minded, but a 4040 does it all in one chip.

So now I need to make a clock to do 0.78125 seconds with a switch to make it do 0.52078125 seconds for it to read out 3333 (with the decimal point hard wired after the second digit so it looks right).

And for 60Hz use the frequency is simply relative, so the 0.78125 seconds still applies, but for 3333 the time interval of 0.52078125 is divided by 1.2.

And that's what I meant by "cheating".Wink

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:29pm
Actually the timing intervals above won't work, so watch this space...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:29pm
So here's my mock-up of the ac motor speed controller and digital readout. More on this later.

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:43pm
When I was looking to getting my Lenco based TT I looked at the possibility of a speed controller that used an optical sensor under the platter to feed back to the motor controller and thus vary its output to correct any speed deviation. In the end I didn't bother and what I never had I don't miss! 

But seeing the 33.33 display makes me wonder if having such an exact input to the motor always translates to an exact rotation of the platter? I'm well aware I might be missing something fundamental here . . . . Embarrassed 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic