FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Dealing with warped vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:22pm
Weights and clamps are necessary with my collection of old vinyl. I agree the sound is generally more solid but they can squash the sound a little. Maybe it is truer to the record?

Congratulations and happy birthday Jon. Given what has been happening with Covid I prefer getting old to the alternative and hope you do too. I turned 55 about six months ago syringe my ears most months which keeps the wax under control and most of the music gets through, which is why I do it. Sorry if I have misunderstood your point.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:00pm
I use a clamp in conjunction with a mat that has a slight concave profile by design. The purpose of this is to deal with warped records, and clamp them firmly to the platter. Although most of my records are very flat, I have some older records that have certain types of warps and this helps deal with them. There are other ways, like expensive record flattening machines which can also ruin records if you are not careful.

I wouldn't recommend a clamp to anyone looking for a big noticeable increase in sound quality on flat records. It just doesn't work that way.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:18pm
Jon
I just think the £75 spent could have been better spent on something that would have given better sound improvements, like I said a platter gave me more for 1/2 the price.
David you are also correct I wouldn't recommend a clamp for big sound quality improvements. I will still use the clamp as not using it would be more of a waist of money
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic