FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

DAC/CD Player output levels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAC/CD Player output levels
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:44pm
Good evening

Just wondered if anyone had done any tweaking to their system in order to rectify the problem(s) caused by high output voltage levels from DACs, CD players etc.

To the best of my knowledge my integrated amp has an input sensitivity of 600mV or so for maximum rated output. Having found some schematics I believe the input impedance (resistance) is approximately 22k ohm.

Having found the output of my AT440mla and the gain of the Reflex M I calculated an output voltage that was in the correct ballpark for my amp so as to make it's volume control nicely adjustable. Which in practice it is.

However, my DAC has an output of 2.5V. This results in me being able to use very little of the amp's volume control range, making minor adjustments difficult if not impossible. I believe it is also responsible for a slightly edgyness to the sound.

As a result of this I purchased some 'reputable' in-line attenuators that lower the output of the DAC/input to the amp by 10dB, which according to my calculations mean that the voltage level is now approximately 1/3rd of it's original value.

The good... the volume control is now much more usable. Also, the sound seems less edgy and is nicer to listen to particular at higher volumes.

The bad... I need to have another listening session to confirm, but I think the bass may have suffered.

My ideal answer would be to buy a Majestic which I see has a more realistic output voltage and sell my existing DAC. Also, to eventually buy Graham's amps... Sadly this is out of the question as this time, although I live in hope... Cry

I wondered if anyone else had suffered with this problem and whether they figured out any work-arounds.

The technical bit.... Shocked

To the best of my knowledge the attenuator is simply a potential divider network. This means extra series resistance is being put into place between the DAC output circuit and the input circuit of the amp. The amp's input circuit comprises of a 22k-ohm resistor to ground, followed by a dc-blocking circuit comprising of a 10uF capacitor and a 82k-ohm resistor to ground. The 'centre tap' of this R/C network is fed into a simple op-amp buffer stage, which then drives further circuits in the amp. I wonder if the extra resistance that the attenuator is putting into the circuit is disturbing the operation of this dc-blocking circuit, i.e. it is filtering out more of the lower frequencies.

Any help/advice is welcome... Smile

Aren't ears brilliant
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:58pm
hi, and yes this is a familiar CD issue which many suffer from but many I suspect are blissfully unaware of and blame the format more than perhaps they should.

I successfully used on-line attenuators on my Vintage Luxman Amp a few years ago, quite possibly from the same supplier (Lancashire based from memory), I had them custom spec'd but cannot recall the value.

They made the sound more relaxed, more open and even and less closed in. The overall dynamics improved albeit initially the snap and bass punch appeared to suffer. I say initially as once used a little more I stopped noticing this. Why? In my opinion I was accustomed to a certain sound but once tuned in I forgot about it.

My current CD player has an output voltage quoted as 2.3VRMS. My current amp has CD sensitivity rated at 565mv with other inputs at 311mv. in broad terms not a million miles off yours although I can attenuate my inputs by 10db which I do, in the region of about 5db I suspect.

I would recommend you persist in your listening I suspect they will grow on you and probably run in too.

good luck
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:35am
Thanks Richard for your input. As you advise I'll give them a while longer to settle and see whether they ultimately give me what I want.

Having had the lid off of my amp (out of curiosity) I see that everything is through-hole despite the relatively new design. Given some electronics experience I'm not against making small mods if absolutely necessary assuming I feel they're based on sound principles. No pun intended!
Aren't ears brilliant
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:20am
Originally posted by JamesD JamesD wrote:

The technical bit.... Shocked

To the best of my knowledge the attenuator is simply a potential divider network. This means extra series resistance is being put into place between the DAC output circuit and the input circuit of the amp. The amp's input circuit comprises of a 22k-ohm resistor to ground, followed by a dc-blocking circuit comprising of a 10uF capacitor and a 82k-ohm resistor to ground. The 'centre tap' of this R/C network is fed into a simple op-amp buffer stage, which then drives further circuits in the amp. I wonder if the extra resistance that the attenuator is putting into the circuit is disturbing the operation of this dc-blocking circuit, i.e. it is filtering out more of the lower frequencies.

Any help/advice is welcome... Smile

A series resistor into an input which will have some (unknown) input capacitance will form a low pass filter - the opposite of what you're thinking. How much input capacitance? We don't know, and if there is no physical capacitor, then it is the input capacitance of the op-amp, which won't be much. If there were a physical capacitor there would be some high frequency roll-off, and in my experience can impact the bass (but I'm not going to write an essay on that right now).

As for the brightness without the attenuator: there comes a signal level with all op-amp inputs which saturates the input long tailed pair (LTP) - daft as it sounds but it is true. The input signal then has to drive the voltage amplifier stage (VAS) and its associated miller capacitor, which isn't a very nice load, and can result in the brightness described.  So 2.5 volts is too "hot" for it, and 600mV is OK, nothing new there.

An attenuator is simply an L-pad comprising a series resistor followed by a resistor across the signal.

The resistance (and hence impedance) should be kept as low as possible and if we look at the standards for equipment matching, 22k is the recommended minimum load resistance so we can make the series resistor 22k.

The value of the resistor across the signal has to be calculated to give the required attenuation taking into consideration the load - but the load can vary between different amps. If we took the 22k standard, then to get -10dB (divide by 3.16) the total value of the resistance across the signal would be (Rin/Rp) + 1 or 10k which is near enough.

So we should then take away the amp input impedance which is 22k||82k or 17.3k, which means the resistor across the signal would need to be 23.6k, or 22k as the nearest obtainable value.

The trouble with attenuators is if the load isn't stated, you have no idea what the attenuation will actually be in practice.

I will assume the attenuation of this 10dB attenuator is into "free air" and if so the amplifier input impedance appears in parallel with the resistor across the signal. And therefore it isn't 10dB anymore but a higher figure.

Complicated isn't it? Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 10:55am
I know it doesn't help James at the moment but a great feature of the Majestic is that I am able to feed the variable output into my main preamp and then level match the input (which in my case includes CD & streamed FLAC plus analogue SACD pass-through into the Majestic) to the volume of the Accession. 

All sources in my system sound like they have the same levels and frequency mix which is ideal....
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:50pm
Thanks Drewan. The amp does actually have a balanced input which could work well with the Majestic.

Thanks for the explanation Graham. It is complicated but I do understand the maths. And yes, having another "unknown" RC filter working the "opposite way around" on the input could harm the higher frequencies. Hence I'm wondering whether to do some work inside the amp in the form of a dedicated circuit for the DAC input in the form of a potential divider directly connected to the non inverting pin of the buffer circuit (in place of the 82k resistor to ground). All assuming that the attenuators don't suit me. Or I make a unbalanced to balanced adapter and use the balanced input on the amp...
Aren't ears brilliant
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:37pm
Hi James, it's crude but how about trying a 47k resistor between the DAC output and amp input. That would give you 22/69 or just under 1/3 of the original siognal at the amp's aux input and 22k load. Or inside the amp between the phono socket's signal terminal and the subsequent circuitry. Using two metal film resistors your mod to the amp input would be cheap and hopefully both easy to install and reversible if you don't like the sound.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic