FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Crap speaker cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 6:30pm
Hi Chris,I should have said that I replaced the duff cable and the loop resistance of both cables are around .5ohms.
The vocals are central,about a foot higher than the tops of the speakers!
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:30pm
All's well that ends well.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Dave Friday Dave Friday wrote:

Hi Chris,I should have said that I replaced the duff cable and the loop resistance of both cables are around .5ohms.
The vocals are central,about a foot higher than the tops of the speakers!

Thanks Dave

Half an ohm loop resistance is still high for that length of cable.
Is the replacement cable the spindly stuff you mentioned earlier?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:39pm
I agree with Chris on this. Dave, this may not apply and/or may be obvious to you... my multimeter read a bit high on cable resistance so I took the reading with the probes touching off the reading with the speaker cables in circuit. Now I have an LCR meter but multimeters are handy all-in-one tools...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:52pm
Hi Chris,the actual loop resistance is .5ohms (for 20 meters)
Here is the spec 1.0mm2  3.0x6.0mm It doesn't make much sense to me!
The cable looks the same as the other(good) cable,I've thrown the thin stuf away.
Ps my meter isn't zeroing!(.3ohm with the prods touching each other )

Edited by Dave Friday - 14 Feb 2019 at 12:23am
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:01am
Modern digital Multimeters rarely show 0 ohms when shorted as they are really measuring the probe, lead and contact resistance. On some models this can be "zeroed out", much like the classic AvoMeter.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Dave Friday Dave Friday wrote:

Hi Chris,the actual loop resistance is .5ohms (for 20 meters)
Here is the spec 1.0mm2  3.0x6.0mm It doesn't make much sense to me!
The cable looks the same as the other(good) cable,I've thrown the thin stuf away.
Ps my meter isn't zeroing!(.3ohm with the prods touching each other )

Subtracting the 0.3 from the 0.5 still leaves 0.2, which is still high in my opinion.
The decimal place could do with being a couple of places to the left.
If things were 0.002Ω I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I'll have to find my DMM and measure the loop resistance of my speaker cables now.
See what you've started? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic