FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Correcting Michael Fremer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:35pm
The whole point about a patent is that it has never ever been discussed before.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:29pm
Indeed a Government body consults technical experts who agree that an invention is new and significant enough to assign IP rights. That trumps Michael Fremer's science-intolerance even if I generally enjoy his articles.

Sorry I missed the original thread Graham and everyone who took part. It is probably for the best as it would have contained my quite frank expressions of disappointment over Fremer's knowledge after reading his review just now. He does get the important bit about the great sound right at the end I suppose. I agreed with him on that bit and like Joe I would have liked MF to have elaborated on what he heard and found so agreeable.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I read that review and could only imagine Graham's er, "disappointment" at it. The ironic thing is Fremer has always struck me as a "subjectivist" rather than an "objectivist". Hang the measurements, what does it sound like? So to go off on a rant at technicalities - that he obviously doesn't understand - doesn't seem true to form. Admittedly his conclusion was a sound one, but how many readers had he lost on the way? 

I saw the extremely positive title of the Fremer-review for Accession and thought to myself: "Yes! Finally he reviewed Accession and apparently he loved it", and then I eagerly started reading the review. 

Immediately I got puzzled because of all the talk about technical stuff, but I'm so used to reviews containing technical info I don't particularly care about that I just scrolled down to the bottom of the page and clicked on page 2. There I was happy to see that "the real review" began.

I'm guessing a lot of readers are too curious and intrigued by the extremely positive title of the review to quit reading just because of all the technical stuff in the intro. They probably do what I did Smile

EDIT: Made the last paragraph easier to read/understand (English is not my main language!)

Edited by Hbuus - 30 May 2019 at 12:58pm
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:36pm
Being an Accession M owner for some time, when I read its review by Michael Fremer on Analog Planet I 'hit the roof'.

I vented my frustrations in a response which I posted on this forum but it was removed by a moderator. I completely understand why that action was taken and in all fairness I will say it was rather juvenile in its aggressively anti-Fremer view. So removal was only fair and right. I apologise for not taking a step back and really thinking about the style of my writing.

I also apologise to anyone who read the rant and was offended, and to the moderators who have been placed in an unnecessary and time consuming position of responsibility.

But, there is a point I would like to make. The core intellectual insights I proposed in my critique of the review by MF are extremely significant and should not be dismissed off-hand.

There is a point about the position MF holds and I feel this legitimately entitles the reader to respond to his highly public professional position in the media, if it is felt necessary by anyone who is troubled by his inaccuracies, accusations and relevant omissions.

MF has misunderstood and misrepresented the technology, and in my opinion, deliberately omitted significant facts which confirm irrefutable credibility to Graham's brilliant understanding of phono pre-amp technology - the US Patent.

In my opinion the review cleverly tarnished the integrity and credibility of Graham Slee.

John.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:02am
The best place to air your grievance with what he wrote and how he wrote it would be on the Analog Planet website, that way Michael Fremer would be able to see what you are saying and respond accordingly.

From what I can see, although I mostly agree with your points (and the more reasoned technical response from Graham), these views have only been aired on this forum and MF is not likely to be seeing them anytime soon, so therefore they are wasted
Derek
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Suggs Suggs wrote:

The best place to air your grievance with what he wrote and how he wrote it would be on the Analog Planet website, that way Michael Fremer would be able to see what you are saying and respond accordingly.

From what I can see, although I mostly agree with your points (and the more reasoned technical response from Graham), these views have only been aired on this forum and MF is not likely to be seeing them anytime soon, so therefore they are wasted

I found that I was unable to post any comments on the AP Accession review page. 

I am in agreement with your comments, and have emailed Michael Fremer directly this morning with a copy of my edited opinion.  Should any members wish to read this version please PM me and I will send you a copy privately. Smile

Thanks, 
John 
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:15am
I sent Michael Fremer both my original vitriolic rant (perhaps unwisely), and the edited and somewhat more refined version. Also a copy of my original apology and explanation. Fair to say, he got the lot. 

With all due credit to Michael, he replied to my emails and offered to publish my rant. I don't think it would make any difference either way.
He rightly points out that my position was highly emotional, also that he was unable to fathom what got me so worked up? Well, I thought it was bleedin obvious! 
Also, that I'm a dark conspiracy theorist. Now, that's a position I was not expecting. But it certainly fits with the current climate of how to handle just criticism. If one dares to criticise the official party line on anything controversial one is immediately cast as a conspiracy theorist, which has been redefined in the modern media to mean :-  NutJob, Wakko, Crackerjack Crackpot. Basically, it's an insult. 
We (the 'Passive Massive') are not suposed to hold views of that challenge the official spin doctor statement on anything.

He claims I have provided 'nothing of substance' for him to respond to. 
Which is interesting considering his job is that of professional persuader, employing all of the skills that the writer possess in order to convince and align. Perhaps he assumes that readers are without any intelligence or credibility of their own, unable to read subtext, agenda or what is behind a smile. No substance in spin? 

Michaels final comment,  'And please give me something of substance to which I can react!' 
I guess, to quote Harry Nilson, 'The Point'. Just about sums up my thoughts....
'The thing is, you see what you wanna see, and you hear what you wanna hear, you dig?'   

I write this from Lincolnshire, sat overlooking golden fields of mid summer sunshine. There appears to be a scarecrow in this picture, but no, 
upon closer scrutiny, it's just a Straw Man. 

............. For sixteen nights and days he raved 
But on the seventeenth he burst Into the arms of Judas Priest 
Which is where he died of thirst. 

No one tried to say a thing When they took him out in jest 
Except, of course, the little neighbor boy 
Who carried him to rest 
And he just walked along, alone 
With his guilt so well concealed 
And muttered underneath his breath 
Nothing is revealed.  

Well, the moral of the story 
The moral of this song, 
Is simply that one should never be 
Where one does not belong. 

So when you see your neighbor carryin' somethin' 
Help him with his load 
And don't go mistaking Paradise 
For that home across the road.

Songwriters: Bob Dylan 
The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest lyrics © Audiam, Inc

Finally.......Perhaps this should have been my only contribution on this subject????? 

Graham, 

Keep doing what you are doing. Producing outstanding ‎high performance products is the most irritating and frustrating answer you can deliver to any critic. 

You have a devoted customer base who will always ‎value your efforts and support your innovative endeavours. 

There's pride in ownership of Graham Slee produ‎cts. 
Secure in the knowledge that audio performance is the No.1 priority. 
Satisfaction in the knowledge that value for money is integral. 
Pride in the ownership of hand made, British built, top quality products. 
Assured by outstanding service and support. 

Platinum achievements!  

Best,
John.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic