FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Copy Cats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copy Cats
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 9:20pm
Just in from a supporter is this link to an eBay item http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252883844661

It is claimed to have a Graham Slee - Solo power drive mod.

The thing is we don't do a power drive mod.

Tried to report it but I closed my eBay account some time ago, and I'm not registering a new one.

Further reading reveals the seller (I assume it's the seller) has messed about with the op-amp too.

Hope he knows what he's doing. Every transistor has input capacitance and it is often higher on power transistors. Op-amps don't take kindly to capacitive loads, and so designing a transistor assisted op-amp circuit (which they all basically are) involves a bit more than "suck it and see".

Unless it's a high distortion headphone amp made to mimmick valves and so does not use global negative feedback (but good valve circuits do...) then getting the matching wrong will result in the negative feedback becoming positive feedback, and that signifies an oscillator.

The frequency of oscillation is far higher than the audible range and beyong the scope of electrolytic power supply capacitors. These get hot and heat drastically shortens their lifespan, often to only a few weeks.

I suppose "chip rolling" is OK if done in the privacy of the home, but it is out of order selling a product which could be very unstable. It is also against the law. EMC regulations forbid the sale of equipment which produces emissions, and people who dabble tend not to understand such things.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:04pm
Graham I have never reported anything on eBay - I am happy to report but for what?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:13pm
The customer said "Its a complete rip off of your name". I don't know if eBay would see that as a reason though?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:34pm
I have reported Graham but there are only very limited options to go for and no freeformat. May be an idea if others do the same?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 5:24am
Thank you Richard for trying.

I never got a "free ride" on the back of anybody else's name - and it wouldn't have been a "free ride" because I was instrumental in getting the work done. Even so, when I mentioned I'd desgned certain things online in the early days, they were right there with the legal threats. It's only since they went into liquidation I have been able to mention the fact that I did my fair share of design work for Audionics (Sheffield) Limited, a YRN PLC company - one of two electronics designers designing for the UK's main broadcasters.

So why the heck should anybody be allowed to sell off my back? Did they start out on benefits? After being dumped in a cost saving excercise? As the company memo said, which was discovered by the IT lad, "use Slee and then get rid of him". I have had my fill of being used! My wife and I decided one day in 1998 that we could ill afford the £60 needed to start this whole thing off, but we should give it a try.

I'm sure most of these bandwagon hoppers are quite shallow. Their whole reasoning is based on simplistic arguments, but there are so many of them about that the public is easily taken in by them. They are name-droppers, selecting so called audiophile components from what they have read, and shoving them together in what they call "their design" which is simply a well known circuit configuration. Where are their hours and days of testing which would show clearly that such things simply don't hold up?

But people are so easily taken in.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic