FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Columbus, Ohio Audio Fan!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liam_mcnulty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liam_mcnulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Columbus, Ohio Audio Fan!
    Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 5:01pm
Hello all! I'm Liam from Columbus, Ohio. I started my deep dive into audio in 2017 after landing my first job after university - finally, an expendable income! I have been a music-lover since early childhood, so audio reproduction is important to me. I started out with some higher-end budget buys: A Rega Planar 2 into a Cambridge Audio 551p phono stage into a Denon AVR-S700W (also used for my television) that amplified a pair of Audioengine HDP6. These lasted me quite a few happy years; then the pandemic hit, I was bored, and joined all sorts of audiophile Facebook groups - something my wallet will never recover from LOL

Today, my system consists of a Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge into the same CA 551p phono stage into a Willsenton R8 vacuum tube amp (with stock KT88, 6SN7, and 6SL7 tubes) into the same Audioengine HDP6. My goal in upgrading now is to land on some high efficiency and quality components that are rather neutral, but versatile. Ultimately I am most excited to play around with experimenting with different cartridges and rolling tubes. I'm most focused on the phono stage now - the HDP6s have a well-balanced and neutral sound, and deliver the nuance expected each time I upgrade a component thus far - though they will eventually be upgraded to something more substantial. 

I am thinking about the GS Revelation because of the MM/MC capability. Any thoughts about that? 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 7:14pm
Thanks for joining us Liam. The Revelation is great for its flexible EQ and I know from experience that the Rev M is very good indeed. Even so I suggest trying the Accession as it has both the EQ options and a patented phono preamp. A loan can be arranged by contacting Bruce (BAK).
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:14pm
Just to be clear, there are no MM/MC phono stages in the GS lineup. You either get separate MM and MC units, or use a step up device like the Elevator. GS has specific technical design reasons for this.

The main reason to get a Revelation would be for the archival EQ options for pre-Riaa records. If you do not listen to a lot of those, or any at all, the Reflex might be a better choice.

Of course the Accession phono stages are unique in that they have patented Riaa and other types of options.

I agree home loan/trial is the way to go.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
liam_mcnulty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liam_mcnulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 8:22pm
Really helpful and clarifying, thank you both. 
NoRust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 8:32pm
Welcome!  Glad to not be the "newest" member on the forum.  I have learned quite a bit since recently joining.  
J.R.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 11:24pm
Liam. welcome
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic