FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Colour of Vinyl. black is best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 12:27am
Hi all
 I seem to have started some thing on the colour of vinyl
I to had some flexidiscs when I was a kid I also had a brown rectangle record don't know what band it was by, that I won as a kid from a radio station called Plymouth Sound That was a long long time ago 

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
dashingcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dashingcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 2:07pm
I have many color vinyls and I do not hear any audible difference when compared with a black vinyl pressings of the same album from the same company.
In fact I love color vinyls Smile

I recently purchased a lovely red blue splatter color vinyl pressing of Bitches Brew limited edition release by Rough Trade and it sounds sublime and much much better then the last copy I had which was black vinyl.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 4:37pm
Hi Syed
I have had a few albums from the Rough Trade label, a band called Warpaint being one of them and all on colour vinyl, Not one has been a bad copy. It's making me think that it could be down to the label or the band taking a bit more pride in the way their vinyl is made for the fans.
I to love colour Vinyl (good recordings) Tongue
In fact I think about 30% of my collection is in colour. I buy most of my music from small independent Record Shops so you do tend to get limited editions from them more than the big stores like Am---n
I'm waiting on 4 new albums 3 of them on colour Vinyl from a small shop in Totnes Devon I love going to that shop, Had to order them for delivery this time because of the lockdown.
 Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi all
 I also had a brown rectangle record don't know what band it was by, that I won as a kid from a radio station called Plymouth Sound 

Ah - the joys of oddly-shaped records in different colours!

If I remember correctly (it was a very long time ago, and I foolishly neglected to buy myself a copy), this was the definitive statement on That Sort Of Thing Wink:

DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 2:05am
Back in the day one of the first 12" singles I bought with my own money was Squeeze - Cool for Cats on Pink vinyl. I also had this one some years later...

Motley Crue Smokin In The Boys Room - Stickered Slv UK shaped ...

Sadly both long gone. 

I bought a new copy of Miles Davis - Kind of Blue a while ago, and it turned out to be on blue vinyl. No detriment to the sound on this or the Rolling Stones double album Hot Rocks which is clear vinyl.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:55pm
Here's one for the accident prone, after THE WAR bootleggers in the Soviet Union made records etched into x-rays!!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:20pm
Here's one of the best sounding non-black vinyl records I own. Actually make that one of the best sounding records I own, period. Mastering/mother plates are the same as the DCC edition, which sells for 3-4 times what I paid for this version. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic