FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Closed back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bradders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closed back
    Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 8:36pm
I'm currently considering moving my Novo amp into the living room so I won't be able to use my open backed PS500's. Sooo what closed backed headphones would you guys recommend? I prefer clarity over thumping bass, a balance response is probably what I'm after. Smile
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 8:47pm
Well, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest a HD250 Linear I or HD250 Linear II. A slight dip in the midrange (IMO) but has considerable resolution over the entire frequency range, I think. You hear everything in the listening material in both exceptional clarity and true-to-life tonality, I think. Anything that beats the HD250 has to be at the top of its game. Nearly every other closed-back headphone currently on the market is comparably a waste, certainly from the viewpoint of an audio engineer anyway.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Bradders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 10:45am
Where can I get a pair of these? are they an obsolete model? Is there a later model thats readily available?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 11:04am
Well before I do say anything more, have you used IEMs (In-Ear Monitors)? They are high resolution ear pieces that insert further into the ear than standard earbuds. I recently purchased the Etymotic ER-4S on Amazon for about £173 and I personally prefer them to the HD250. =/ Some people will not get on with this type of headphone however. If you have doubts, then I'll talk a bit more about the HD250.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 4:59pm
There are a plethora of choices for closed back cans. It is a significant task to create a mid-length list let alone short-list. I have not heard PS500s but I have owned a pair of RS-1s for around 5 years. In this context I think you might find the HD250 bass a surprise which may or may be a pleasant one. For reference, my closed back, ahem, "collection" is as follows:

Sennheiser
HD25-1
HD25SP
HD250 II
HD280

Beyer
DT770-80
DT150
DT250-250
DT48E

Shure
SRH840
SRH940

Each has its own flavour. My Solo is the UL Mk1, not ULDE.

I will let others comment on HD250 I & II, not least as it is out of production.

From my personal experience, i would submit 3 of these (in production) for your audition shortlist…

HD25-1 has something is common with the RS-1s, being lively with punch in the upper-bass region, though is less refined. On-Ear, high isolation, small soundstage.

DT250-250 To my ears the most neutral frequency response in my closed collection. Narrow soundstage. Not especially refined but good levels of detail. Medium isolation.

SRH940 Slight dip in upper-mid bass (a la HD280) but otherwise well balanced if not particularly lively. Good detail and wider soundstage. The most refined of these 3. Medium-high isolation.

You may want to try a studio equipment store to audition as these are - to a greater or lesser extent - regarded as studio cans.

Good luck in your search.

Best

James

Voyager - HD25
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 12:12pm

Should also look at some of the Audio-Technica Closed back headphones. 

ATH-500,

ATH-700,

ATH-900, 

I don't have much experience of too many other makes headphones but the brief listening in shops and shows has not made me want to swap from my ATH-900s yet, but it 

I think Graham uses a pair of  ATH-700 or ATH-900s as well.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 17 Nov 2013 at 12:13pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Treb74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treb74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 4:28pm
I have the Shure SRH940s and think they're great closed headphone.  They're very revealing *but* I don't find them fatiguing.  I do wish they had a bit more warmth and heft to the sound.  However, Shure's recently released the 1540s which, from what I understand, address those concerns (but I haven't heard them).

The various Beyerdynamic closed headphones were disappointing being a bit to bass heavy or boring/uninvolving depending on the model. The AKG K550s were good for a closed headphone but they seemed to have a bit too much odd order distortion for my liking. Brass instruments sounded too strident compared to other headphones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic