FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Classic MM Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic MM Cartridge
    Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm
I really enjoy the Nagaoka MP200 that I run on my Technics deck, very smooth and musical to my ears. With new stylus time approaching, I thought about possible 'improvements' and considered the obvious upgrade to a Nag MP500. Research and talking to some dealers got me to the point of placing an order for an Audio Note IQ2 at a similar price to the Nag.
However, before pressing the button, I came across the Technics EPC-205C. Made in  the late 70's this was pretty much state of art at the time with an ultra low effective mass stylus assembly and massive frequency range which is still said to rival and better many good MC's. A 205C MK3 came up on fleebay recently complete with a near new replacement for the original stylus. I liked the unit design, intended for the Technics so decided to take the plunge. On receipt I was a bit dissapointed that the replacement stylus is actually from the earlier MK2 model so doesn't have the ultra light boron tube elliptical stylus but is still in good nick and Jico SAS alternatives are readily available.
Initial impressions are impressive. It generates a bit more obvious record noise than the Nag but the sound is very satisfying. Jon  Bonhams cymbals on LedZep II really sing and the bass track drives through. I couldn't say how it compares to  MC cartridges but even with the incorrect stylus I'd put it alongside or better the Nag MP200.  I'll hold full judgement until I fit a replacement Jico stylus, which I hope will be soon.  Certainly a lot going for an old classic.

Edited by Mikeh - 29 Nov 2021 at 4:15pm
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 12:55pm
I currently have one fitted with the SAS/B stylus. I like it very much.
I also have a spare Sapphire stylus version for it as well.

Don’t waste your time chasing the holy grail of a NOS mk3 stylus . The rubber making the TTDD (Technics Temperature Defence Damper) will have perished by now, so the suspension will be collapsed.

Apparently, the Mk4 was even better, but good luck finding one.

I also have an AT20SLa with a couple of ATN20SS as spares. Another very good cartridge.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 4:16pm
Received my replacement Jico SAS/S stylus from Japan earlier today. Excellent service and delivery. Fitted to the EPC-205Cmk3 cartridge body and running in now on the turntable. Immediate impressions are the increased detail and positioning over the Nag, can't wait for it to be properly bedded in. IMO it must be one of the nicest looking cartridges, before talking about the sound quality.
Now decided that the NOS 205ED2 stylus deserves retipping and fitted to it's own EPC body. The original titanium arm might not give the same impressive specs as the later model with boron tube but the suspension is more likely to be usable.  Will have to be patient and look out for an EPC-205C mk 3 or 4(?) without a stylus......could be a long wait.

Mike

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 10:32am
I think you will find the cost of a retip prohibitive. If you want something close to the Mk3, the SAS/B is about as good as it gets.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 1:03pm
Maybe I should have heeded Kevin's advice but once started on the trail of Technics cartridges, I kind of got sucked in. A few eBay  and Yahoo Japan purchases and I have ended up with a little collection, a mkII L, a U mkIII  and a mkIV which is really an indulgence for the red body.
The Jico SAS/S stylus now sits on the mkIV as my reference giving a superb detailed sound stage.  Maybe a little 'bright' to my ears but wonderful. The other purchases came with a variety of stylus, so I had a mkII ED X and a mk II ED retipped by ESCo. They are still running in but already give an impressive sound, all a little different but time will tell how they settle down. I do have a mkIII ED stylus which is worn and showing signs of suspension wear which is going to be difficult if not impossible to get repaired.  The only guys I know offering to perform suspension repairs are in Russia, which ain't good business at the moment.
I was intrigued to come across another 'classic' cartridge similar to the EPC 205C with integral body, a jVC Victor U-2 which was on eBay complete with NOS stylus at a very reasonable cost. I don't know a lot about it other than it comes from when JVC introduced quadraphonic recordings, so it has extended frequency response up to 60KHz to allow for decoding the extra channels. To my surprise, this sounds as good if not better than the 205 mkIV with Jico. I would say from my listening, it retrieves a bit more detail but  doesn't emphasise the treble as much. As I've found there are replacement NOS stylus still available for the JVC from both Europe and Japan, this now sits as my regular cartridge and works just fine with the Accession M. 
Happy days, listening and no more cartridge hunting....for a while.
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic