FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:17pm
He did say lot on "CD rot" and it seemed he did a lot of research into it. He had spoke to a record shop that had been selling CDs since they first came out and they said they had heard of it but had no experience of it them selves or any feed back from customer's but they said that they do know of a shop that had to give a customer's money back on a second hand CD because of it, he said they came to the conclusion that if you had one with it you were vary unfortunate and probably never get one with it again.
The bit I found funny was when he said he was saving but admitted he wasn't really.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:26pm
I liked it when they were bonus tracks like an EP, not unfinished songs that didn't make the LP.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:36pm
I have a CD but can't remember if it's by the The Verve, The Stone Roses or someone else but if you let it play on after an Hour or maybe it seems like it you get an extra track.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I got really fed up with all the "additional material" that didn't make it onto the original LP release because of space and time considerations.
Bands struggled to fill a CD with material of merit.
In my opinion they missed the point - what was needed was material that was really vital, as opposed to the overlong, rambling and unfocussed efforts that proliferated.

I really dislike remastered CD releases with material that doesn't add anything of merit.

My server is heavily laden with remastered albums with specially sorted "bonus material", most of which I usually don't bother to listen to.

I agree entirely, Chris, and it wasn't just a problem of remastered releases, but of new ones too. The fad for hidden 'bonus tracks' drove me up the wall, few if any were worth hearing, let alone hearing again. The track which is 'reprised' towards the end is likewise a pet hate of mine. When I rip such CDs (or records for that matter) I either exclude them, or delete the files afterwards.

I do wonder how much of this is down to artists, though, and how much should be laid at the door of labels' marketing notions.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:48pm
Yes silly features like extended silence followed by a filler track are without merit.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 11:57pm
I will say if that track was worth listening to I would have probable remembered who it was by. All I can say it would take a long time even when fast forwarding to find it as there was no track number.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 8:15pm
I'm trying to extend the life of my CD shelving units, Does anyone know of a sleeve like a  records inner sleeve but for the CD and the two inlays. All I can find is ones that only fit the CDs, I would like to keep the inlays with them or at less the booklet. I'm not too worried about double CDs as I can put the back artwork with the second CD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 55>
  Share Topic