FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 35 minutes ago at 4:23pm
If you're happy with CDs then there is absolutely no reason to change.  I was simply having a problem with the media itself and the space it occupies. 

I used 'whipper' (a Linux alternative to EAC) to rip my CDs - both do the same job.  You definitely do not need an 'audiophile' CD drive for this, I used a reasonably cheap USB drive as reading is usually performed in several passes (*). Once ripped, Whipper/EAC will connect to the the MusicBrainz database and append track information.  The next step is the crucial one; EAC will generate a checksum for each track and compare this against an online database of rips for the same track.  This will report back the number of people who have reported the same checksum so you can be confident you have an accurate rip.

For playback, a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB drive served me well for years.  I live in a small apartment and have no need for a NAS.  I recently upgraded to a SOtM SMS200 but can't say that it's a huge step up in performance over the Pi.

(*) In order to calculate the checksum accurately in a manner that can be compared with others, you will need to 'calibrate' the drive to determine the offset.  This usually involves nothing more than dropping a popular CD into the drive and drinking some tea while EAC rips the disk with various offset values and uses tries to match them with values in the online database.  You will only need to do this once for each CD drive you use.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 48 minutes ago at 6:10pm
Whilst I have rejected Raspberry Pi boards for music duties, I am looking into x86/x64 single board computers for it instead. Anything that has the option of running Windows, uses a non-ATX power supply and allows hardware access to the PCIe bus.
Lautus S/PDIF>Majestic>Lautus-R3>2xProprius>MySphere 3.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic