FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 55>
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:23pm
If you're happy with CDs then there is absolutely no reason to change.  I was simply having a problem with the media itself and the space it occupies. 

I used 'whipper' (a Linux alternative to EAC) to rip my CDs - both do the same job.  You definitely do not need an 'audiophile' CD drive for this, I used a reasonably cheap USB drive as reading is usually performed in several passes (*). Once ripped, Whipper/EAC will connect to the the MusicBrainz database and append track information.  The next step is the crucial one; EAC will generate a checksum for each track and compare this against an online database of rips for the same track.  This will report back the number of people who have reported the same checksum so you can be confident you have an accurate rip.

For playback, a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB drive served me well for years.  I live in a small apartment and have no need for a NAS.  I recently upgraded to a SOtM SMS200 but can't say that it's a huge step up in performance over the Pi.

(*) In order to calculate the checksum accurately in a manner that can be compared with others, you will need to 'calibrate' the drive to determine the offset.  This usually involves nothing more than dropping a popular CD into the drive and drinking some tea while EAC rips the disk with various offset values and uses tries to match them with values in the online database.  You will only need to do this once for each CD drive you use.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:10pm
Whilst I have rejected Raspberry Pi boards for music duties, I am looking into x86/x64 single board computers for it instead. Anything that has the option of running Windows, uses a non-ATX power supply and allows hardware access to the PCIe bus.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm
whipper - another one of the many faces of CDParanoia. Smile

rsync - exactly. I do the same. It's perfect for the job of incrementally propagating the rips across backups. One of my backups is on a drive with plentiful unused space so on that sync I have it set to not propagate deletes, giving me a recovery option should stuff be accidentally deleted upstream.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have looked up this disc rot and now know that it is not a joke, I seem to be lucky so far as none of my CDs have suffered from this and yes I did check some of my older CDs today, It seems that most of this was CDs from the 80s but I could not find out where these CDs were manufacture from or weather it was a general thing

Disc rot was not a widespread problem, at least in the grand scheme of things if we are talking about the entire world.

However, it did have a disproportionate effect in the UK, because discs that "bronzed" and "rotted" were specifically manufactured at the PDO UK plant during a specific time period (1988-93). For awhile these were being replaced by the manufacturer.

Here in the U.S., very few PDO UK discs were sold. Most of the discs sold here were/are pressed in the U.S., Mexico, Japan, and other plants in Europe. Out of 4,000+ CDs I have just three or four CDs with disc rot.

I have learned to avoid PDO UK discs from that time frame, for the most part. Note that some of these discs may still be playable for now, but it's only a matter of time before the data on the disc gets corrupted. If you care about the music on them, I'd strongly advice backing them up ASAP with a good ripping program like EAC, dBpoweramp, etc.

Edited by patientot - 13 Apr 2021 at 2:19pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
After reading the posts on disc rot I'm now thinking It's time that I think about backing up some of my CDs to my computer, but I don't know what CD writer to get? Any ideas on a not too expensive one, Or is it a case of you get what you pay for. One more thing is the EAC program easy to use, A lot of you seemed to recommend it or is there a better program to use and easier
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
Hans Beekhuyzen offers a general introduction to the subject on you tube. 

The video also explains the relationship between WAV and FLAC.  (I prefer FLAC)

There are also a few tutorials on EAC itself, such as the following;

You don't need anything special for the drive if you're just using it for ripping.  Whatever drive you use, EAC will read chunks of data multiple times until it is satisfied that it is reading the same data.  Comparisons with the accuraterip data base at the end of the run can be used to verify the integrity of the rip.  I used a USB drive costing around 35 GBP and it worked fine. 

I hope the above helps get you started.

"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm
Allow me a supplementary take.  The fate of CD is evident ....and was announced at the beginning of the 21st century. SACD, DVDA and similar was tested as a replacement for the format.  This forum will save enthusiast much funds to explore the issues as Commercial Hifi magazine are only fanning the flame of the dilemma. New 20 bit recorded CD is good enough as background music and your Neuro cells plays along the missing '' bits'' BUT the emotional content is the missing '' bits''. DAC has also be much improved and upscaling the 20bit accentuate certain mid to bass frequencies and sometimes too much to present a more acoustic flavour. BUT what was NOT there in the music cannot be created in mixing and CD production.

New Release Vinyl and am still in tone queue for my pre Order seek a 'asking price' of £25.00 and up to £40 for 180gm. For that I get a large VINLY with Card envelope and an 'Art work '' or a professional retouched Print/photo.
The RIAA equalisation of the Phono Pre amp tries to create a perception of true accoustic analogue sound but the Vinyl was recording trough a 20bit Recording microphone and Processers and cut to Vinyl with Digital lathe .....and the sound is digital clear, too clear and the Phono pre seeks to inject analogue warmth but for that you need to spend some £400-600 Pre Amp phono.

So we have Digital versus digital or DAC software app adjusting the sound to analogue or RIAA Phono amp.....

I like the natural cardboard envelope, i like to physically place it on the Thorens and adjusting it myself and the whole process adds and makes for better listening....

My hope is for a dedicated new breed of RIAA phono to convert those new recording studio and conversion to Vinyl but it is NOT Analogue produced and certainly you can make believe. BUT i have some Sarah Vaughn 180 gm Chestky true analogue recording and produced  ...AND that caused the difficulty when you return to CD replay ...NOT the same experience and CD has a difficulty with Mech and laser and other Management software. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 55>
  Share Topic