FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

David
I was reading up on how long a HDD lasts and as you say between 4-5 years is what they are all saying as for SSD most were saying UP to 10 years. I have one HDD and I'm thinking of getting a SSD as a back up and then get a 2nd later as I can't remember when I got the HDD that I have. But I will use the cloud as that is the safer option for some of my CDs. the HDD I am using or will be using is a Western Digital Elements.
this weekend I will be starting ripping my CDs using EAC, I have found a step by step guide and I will have one laptop to read it from and the other to load the program and set up on (I'm glad I have 2 laptops) for me something written is better than a video.

I'd be a little skeptical about an SSD lasting that long, but I suppose it is possible. I think for your situation, an SSD makes sense. I would try to get a 512GB model from a major brand (e.g. Samsung, Kingston, PNY, etc).

Avoid eBay specials and off brands, etc. and you should be fine. SABRENT is a company that makes little portable enclosures for SSDs. You can just install it in the enclosure yourself which will probably cost $10-15 and you only need a screwdriver. From there you format the drive and start using it.

Here are examples. Not sure the best place to buy in your area of the world, but this will give you a rough idea of what to get:

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:11pm
Is SSD lifespan affected by its total capacity as stored data is moved between different "cells" to preserve it. Each "cell" only has a finite number of write cycles before it becomes unusable. Or have I misunderstood?
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:51pm
Yes I have had an SSD fail after 6 months and it was replaced but others have lasted 4 or 5 years. My music is across two 1TB SSD's, Win10 and apps on a smaller SDD and I use a standard HDD as my scratch disk for music editing, documents, and my photo library. Definitely suggets you have at least one (!) backup and  check it regularly (so you can see the files are there), better still a backup at home and one off-site. With both latter think about any personal data on there, make sure it is secure so locked up somewhere and not in your dek drawer at work (post-Covid).

I use FLAC but I don't embed the album artwork FWIW.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:33am
The read ups on SSD did say that the could last up to ten years and that was because  mostly that they didn't have moving parts, I did not look at the more in depth ones as they went beyond my understanding. What the ones I read were saying was that they were more likely to last longer than HDD and they were the safer option but as Ash said the bigger ones (capacity) did affect how long they would last too. They also said CD,DVD storage was safer than both of them but all said that the cloud was your safest option to store data. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:23am
Multiple backups in different places is the only way to get true peace of mind. I would go with 2.5" SSD over HDD or M.2 as there are no mechanics that can fail like HDD and it operates at cooler temperatures than M.2. I never had any trouble with data loss on flash memory devices like USB sticks when I was at uni 10 years ago so as long as you power up the drive and have a look maybe once a month, I don't see why you'd encounter a problem. I wouldn't bother burning data to discs unless you need to play them on something.

I have two USB 3.0 external Toshiba HDD with all my data on and they are several years old. I check them every so often and handle them carefully. Never had a problem.

I always keep the majority of my data on a separate drive to the operating system. So if the OS begins to malfunction and do its own thing, you can easily separate your valuable files from it and not have to worry about data loss or inaccessibility due to OS corruption.

Edited by Ash - 30 Apr 2021 at 7:28am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:42am
I have a Drobo DAS which uses “beyond RAID” technology, so I’m protected against a single HDD failure. Also my computer and the attached Drobo DAS are backed up to the cloud using a low cost subscription service called Backblaze.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:01am
Hi all. thanks for all the advice
I think at the moment I will go with SSD, but just to get started I will use my HDD to see how I get on.
As I said a NAS drive is something for the future if and when I get more into computer audio.
I will use the cloud storage as I am paying for it and I'm not using any where near the capacity I'm paying for.
One more thing, as a rough guide what will 500GB hold, At say CD quality ripped in FLAC (how many CD albums)
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
  Share Topic