FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 55>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:31am
The terminology used may be different but single board computers and motherboards aren't all that dissimilar. It's whatever PCB the central processing unit is on? A computer is anything that processes data to achieve a particular function? Whether it's a mobile phone, desktop PC, SBC, TV, CD player, supermarket till or tiny embedded electronics in a remote location transmitting data for analysis, it's all data handling and processing. All that changes is complexity, power and purpose. I'd imagine it all looks the same to the computer scientist.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:43am
I don’t have expansion slots in my CD player, therefore it is not a motherboard. Wink
motherboard
/ˈmʌðəbɔːd/
noun
COMPUTING
  1. a printed circuit board containing the principal components of a computer or other device, with connectors for other circuit boards to be slotted into.

Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
I'd not seen the term 'disc rot' before but a quick Google indicates that I'm not the only one to have lost music this way.  In my case it was three CDs out of about 200.  All of the ones that failed were purchased in the 80's from reputable shops and well looked after, spending most of their life in storage in a box under a bed in Yorkshire so had not been subjected to wild temperature variations.  One of them was Pat Metheny's 'American Garage' - I don't recall the other two but ECM is a fairly major label.  None of the discs showed any signs of surface damage.  I now keep my collection on three geographically separate USB drives, no more than two are together at any one time.  I then use rsync to transfer files to sd cards and a SSD for playback on a DAP and home system respectively.  The sheer practicalities of this arrangement outweighs any enjoyment I had in collecting CDs.

I don't dislike CDs, but
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:47pm
To me a CD player is fine and I can always up grade the DAC if or when I wont to improve the sound quality, as I have said to go computer audio I will need to spend money, For one on a CD drive or probably DVD drive (not sure if that's what they are called) to record my music to the computer and then I will need a NAS drive which is more money to spend, now not being good with computers one thing I do know is a NAS drive is the safer way to store my music (if someone can tell me other wise) I don't know why or more to the point how it does this? Now all this money to me is better spent on my HiFi. 
I have looked up this disc rot and now know that it is not a joke, I seem to be lucky so far as none of my CDs have suffered from this and yes I did check some of my older CDs today, It seems that most of this was CDs from the 80s but I could not find out where these CDs were manufacture from or weather it was a general thing
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm
I would quite happily go CD-less as well if I had more know-how in ripping disc audio for archiving. I feel no attachment to physical media really. I have some very expensive albums so I should perhaps think about converting them to files soon and making multiple copies on both HDD and SSD hardware to ensure they are not lost in my lifetime.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
I use EAC, and run the wizard so that I get settings for an accurate rip.
The PC does the rest. Most discs rip fine, but you can have issues with some of the copy protected discs.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:01pm
Ash
I'm the same as you I don't have the know how too.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 55>
  Share Topic