FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge set-up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 8:34pm
Well, I am relieved I got my SL1210 mark2's original P2S right at 215mm but apologise for not realising the mark 1 was 200mm.

Andrew is right. There is a delight in aligning your cartridge (probably not the 1st or 2nd time) and enjoying the sound that results from it being just right. Or near enough!

I've printed CH arc protractors on several decks and arms (so less experience than many here) and found them easy to use with consistently good results. I even worked out how to paste one accurately onto a duff LP that a screwed onto the base of my Clearaudio protractor.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Originally posted by Paul H Paul H wrote:

Gotcha. Does that just mean that ProJect used Lofgren B to calculate their spec figures?
Yes, because the arm length is fixed but the overhang can vary depending on where you place the cart in the headshell slots. 

The differences are tiny but all results will be 'correct' against the chosen parameters (as long as it is printed exactly to scale & the offset angle is aligned to the cantilever).
Yes, I appreciate that it's all about finding a "preferred compromise". I printed out a template (it printed exactly to size) and haven't had time to look at this in detail, but on first attempt I was interested to see that, while the stylus didn't follow the printed arc (it drifted out by a few mm) it did appear to arrive safely at each null point.

That may have been because I hadn't lined it up accurately enough with the pivot but, assuming that I do get that alignment correct, do I need the stylus to line up with all points on the arc or with just one or both of the null points?
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Paul H Paul H wrote:

.....on first attempt I was interested to see that, while the stylus didn't follow the printed arc (it drifted out by a few mm) it did appear to arrive safely at each null point.

That may have been because I hadn't lined it up accurately enough with the pivot but, assuming that I do get that alignment correct, do I need the stylus to line up with all points on the arc or with just one or both of the null points?
Yes, this may happen & it can be frustrating & time consuming to get the final result. 

You mention lining up with the pivot but with an arc protractor this isn't necessary. Once you hit the arc at all points, the overhang is set automatically & you didn't have to rely on eyesight to the pivot point. 

I apologise if I am repeating something you already know but the correct procedure is to move the protractor under the stylus at the outer edge of the arc , then the cartridge in the headshell near the inner edge (spindle) of the arc. i.e...

1. 'Rough-in' the cartridge in the headshell slots & move the protractor until the stylus lines up with it near the outer edge. 

2. Then make sure the platter/protractor doesn't move & swing the arm near the spindle. See how much the stylus deviates from the arc & move the cartridge slightly by about half that amount. 

3. Now swing the arm back to the outside, rotate the protractor until the stylus hits the arc as in 1. & keep repeating 1. & 2. until it hits the line exactly.

This may require several repeats until 'perfect' & also check again after twisting for offset at the null points in case the stylus has drifted from the arc. 

I use the mirrored 'Mr Yip - Mint' arc protractor with a line much thinner than the printed one & hitting the arc exactly pays dividends. Very high magnification (~20x or 30x) & strong, evenly distributed light helps greatly.

Alignment will be absolutely correct when the stylus completely follows the arc AND lines up at the two null points as well. 

As Graham mentioned, a lot of 'faffing' Confused but very rewarding when you listen to the result Big smile
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:45pm
I find one of these (.Maplin linen tester) very helpful and also use a torch pointed across the platter

Edited by Fatmangolf - 12 Aug 2016 at 9:46pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 6:59am
Andrew, that's a fabulous post and very enlightening. The wonderful thing about the internet is that it's full of people telling you what to use, but very little actual explaination of how. I had assumed that the correct method was to roughly align the protractor with the pivot (there's a line drawn on Hoffman's protractor that points to the pivot, so I assumed that was its purpose) and then carry out the adjustments you mention.

So thank you for taking the time to spell it out.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:03am
Although it won't noticeably affect the accuracy of your overhang setting I find it easier to put an old/spare LP on the platter first then the paper arc protractor on top of that.

I use small pieces of blu-tac to stop the platter rotating during alignment and a coin or similar small weight to anchor the arc protractor once it is at the right angle (Andrew's description for this is spot on IMO). Then I know the paper won't move whilst the cartridge is being wriggled and lowered onto it repeatedly.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic