FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge recommendation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cartridge recommendation?
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:05pm
I have a significant birthday comingg up, and the wife has asked what I want as a present.
I have been struggling to think of something if I am honest, but I have always wondered what a decent cartridge would sound like in my system.

As such, what cartridges do people have experience that sound really good? I have no preference about MM/MC, and I have a few good MMs such as the AT20SLa, EPC-205, AT150mlx etc. I have a couple of MCs as well, such as the SAE1000LT, AT33PTG/II, EPC310MC and a modified Denon DL-103 with Shibata tip.

I am after something that works well with Rock etc. So it needs to have good dynamic swing. I don’t want to spend more than £1k as it seems like a large chunk of money, for possibly a small performance increase. And the last sentence is part 5he reason I am not sure I want to go down that road.

What are people’s experiences of the cartridge upgrade path?
Will my money be better spent elsewhere?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:14pm
I recently upgrade from the Clearaudio Virtuoso V1 to Maestro V2 and it's the best upgrade I have made by far.

https://elusivedisc.com/clearaudio-maestro-v2-ebony-wood-mm-cartridge-3-6mv/

As a caveat this is the first time I have made a change to my cartridge so experience is limited.

Good Luck !
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 3:48am
Hi Kevin,
   If you’re running a Rega arm, the Ania MC is a delightful match. I use the Apheta2 but have decent experience with the Ania as well. If you want to rock...
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 5:19am
Thanks. I am running a Funk Firm FX-1200, which has been upgraded to the latest F.X arm tube.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
I have gone for a left field choice of a used Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic.
I have always wanted to try one, and one popped up recently, so I have taken the plunge.

Kevin
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm
Super cartridge, great match with a ReflexM or AccM.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:16pm
Both are out on loan, so I will have to put up with my own phonostage.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic