FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge recommendation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Bit late to the party, however I find the Sumiko Blackbird a very good cart. Its an MC cartridge that can be bought as Low or High Output, so doesnt matter if you have a MC or MM GS stage :-)

The only downside is that the prices of these have nearly doubled over the past 3 for years....and im not sure why
Singlemania View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singlemania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
Difficult to recommend to someone who already has a fantastic array of cartridges. My favourite cartridges have always been by Supex. I think there is a signature sound that I’ve found in A&R, Shure M91, ATOC9, Garrott P66, Victor MC2, Grado Ref CMZ. Like you I could only justify spending up to £1K and settled on a Koetsu Black. It has that signature sound but more enjoyable than anything I’ve previously tried.

Edited by Singlemania - 04 Dec 2021 at 9:58am
Systemdek/RB250+MichellTechno/ Origin Live Advanced DC/Crimson610/GSP Communicator+PSU1/SugdenP51 Mono Pair/ Linn Kan Mk1
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:42am
Hi Keith, currently I have an Audio Note mm IQ3 which has a Titanium cantilever and the same tip as the Audio Note IO1 mc cartridge which is about £3K I think. There is a very good manufacturer replacement / refurbish arrangement if need be as the front end is detachable. 
Before that I had an Ortofon 2M Black another good cartridge and only changed it because I carelessly managed to bend the cantilever. Ortofon also do a replacement arrangement but the repair is not far off a new one hence my IQ3. There is now a replacement for the 2M Black you may want to check that out.

I am happy with the IQ3 but am reluctant to give a definitely buy this recommendation as different systems / rooms etc can give different sounds. What I can say is a recent loan of an Accession MM and Enigma power supply made a big difference and I note you have an Accession mm. Hope this helps.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:48pm
Tom
You say there is a replacement for the 2M black. Just had a look, Do you know what it is called? I don't seem to fine anything about it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:51pm
I have just found it "2M Black LVB 250"
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:05pm
Tom 
I see what you mean about replacement price, It's only £70 more to buy a whole new cart (Bronze)
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:28am
Just to update this thread slightly, I did indeed buy the Antal EZ. Still happy with them.
I also sold my modified DL-103, as I think it was too heavy for the FX1200. I also sold my EPC305 as the P mount did not work that well with the FX1200.

The cash I got from these helped me buy a Dynavector XX2 MkII. This is a superb cartridge, which I thoroughly enjoy, but is kept for “Sunday best”. I heard one in a friends system, and was something I always wanted, however, I could not justify the cost. I found a low hours cartridge at a U.K. dealer.

So now, I am in a position where I have enough cartridges to last me a while, from my cheap Frankencarts (modified AT95s) to the rather splendid XX2. The modified AT95 sounds great, and is a cartridge I could live with, and the replacement cost is very reasonable. So if visitors with small kids come, this gets fitted, as you never know when accidents can happen. Currently doing the honours though, is the EPC-U205 with the Jico SAS/B stylus. A great combination.

What I have found (most are already well known) during my search for a better cartridge:

1. The law of diminishing returns kicks in quite quickly. 
2. The stylus profile can make quite a difference to the sound, but it needs to set up well to get the most out of it. Slight differences in setup can give big changes when using more complex profiles.
3. MCs are not always better, in my opinion. VFM certainly takes a big hit. As easy stylus replacement is not possible, the cost of ownership can be quite high.
4. There are plenty of older MM cartridges available at reasonable prices that have very good after market/original styli available, and these should not be over looked. Prices do seem to be on the increase recently though.
5. It is important to match the cartridge with the arm and phono stage.
6. Being in the right place at the right time can yield some serious bargains.

Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic