FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge Body

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cartridge Body
    Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 1:51pm
I use a moving magnet cartridge and I'm getting near to stylus change time, and looking to see how old the present stylus is I found the original receipt for the cartridge, seems I bought it in 2004. There's been a fair few replacement stylus since then, but it got me thinking about what's in the body? Does it degrade/wear out? Is it time to replace the whole thing?

Not knowing the answer to either question that's where you chaps come in Wink any info would be appreciated.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 2:02pm
it's rare that a cartridge wears out - if it does it's usually due to external influence.
If you like the sound of it replace the stylus.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 3:14pm
If you have any doubts about the cart body my advice is to test it with a multimeter. Although there are some things that can go wrong with a cart over time, if it is well cared for and there are no accidents with it, it should work fine for many decades.

I have cartridge bodies that are 30-40 years old and they were perfectly. I know people that have cartridges even older than that. The main thing that gets tricky is when a cartridge type goes OOP and you can't get OEM styli for it anymore.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 6:21pm
Thanks for the information I'd never really considered the body before good to hear they're reliable.

Been looking at the cost of a replacement (my cartridge is a rebodied G***ring, and given a fancy name), well the stylus is only a few pounds cheaper than a new G***ring cartridge, but looking forward the replacement stylus for that is £100 cheaper than mine so that's something for me to ponder.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
I've got an early 1990's Goldring 10xx body still going strong after several new styli. I bought a 1042 stylus a couple of years back and it is very good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:35pm
Because of the relatively small difference in cost between a replacement stylus and a complete cartridge, I once bought a new G***ring 1012, removed the stylus to replace the worn one on the turntable. and now have a spare cartridge. If the one in use ever gives trouble, the spare can be fitted and the existing stylus pressed into service again in a few minutes.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:09pm
You are right about the cartridge vs stylus pricing and I also thought the 1012 was really good. Higher cost but I like the 1042 even more.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic