FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge alignment 101

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cartridge alignment 101
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:21am
I recently replaced the stylus on my Ortofon 2m Black and took the opportunity to fiddle around some with adjustments. Just going it by ear with incremental adjustments (after first getting a rough estimation using a very simple protractor sheet) I've now got it sounding just right for most of the record. The first inch or so of a record tracks well enough although not as good as the rest of the record, with steady improvement following after it towards the middle of the record and from that point it keeps tracking exemplary all the way throughout.
I was just interested​ in hearing wether anyone here has similar experiences to this or if a more consistent tracking angle is attainable without losing the superb tracking of most of the record now save for that very first inch?
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:38pm
Hi Johan, I'd focus on getting the alignment right with your protractor so the cantilever (and hopefully the stylus) is exactly aligned with the grid and the record groove at both null points. It is probably designed to the Baerwald alignment so will give you equally low distortion on the inner grooves as the outer grooves. Tip: use a magnifying glass.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:27pm
Thanks Jon. Maybe I should get a better protractor sheet to use - but if it sounds right, open, detailed and free of distortion, could it still be doing damage? Is alignment by hearing not a good way to do it (even with help of a Solo UL ;))
Johan
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 3:21pm
Hi Johan,
I've found this card protractor very good as long as you get the arrow accurately pointed
at the arm pivot.
When the alignment was checked with an expensive Dr. Feickert job it was very close.
Tracking seems to be consistent across the record.

Image result for polaris plus stylus alignment gauge
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 5:13pm
Thanks for the tip! I'm ordering one and trying it
Johan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Thanks Jon. Maybe I should get a better protractor sheet to use - but if it sounds right, open, detailed and free of distortion, could it still be doing damage? Is alignment by hearing not a good way to do it (even with help of a Solo UL ;))

No the issue would be if you heard distortion on peaks or even jumping. My understanding (which may be wrong) is the stylus should stay in contact with the groove and may cause damage if not.

My apologies for the short reply (poor internet connection my end) and thanks to Richard. That's what you need - a reliable tool to do the alignment. When the mounting distance (distance from platter spindle to arm pivot) is known then arc protractors are very good because they let you fix one variable and then work on the other, just as Richard wrote. If you get a paper arc protractor I suggest using it on top of an old record not on the platter because the height will be slightly closer to playing height.

My other practical tip is using a little blu-tac to stop the platter turning after you aim the line at the arm pivot.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
itsmanhattan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmanhattan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:35am
Quick Question - I have a few carts that only seem to play out of one channel.

I've checked and cleaned all connections to the cart.
I've tested the speakers and amps to verify that nothing is off there.

Is this an alignment issue?

Manhattan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic