FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

cartridge advice + any comments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vinyl Reader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vinyl Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cartridge advice + any comments
    Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:26pm
Hi SmileCartridge recommendations please and why …fairly obviously I  guess .My max budget is 400€ but realistically so I can buy one before next year:250€.  TT: systemdek IIX RB250 michel technoweight & VTA, rubber & cork mat,GS gramp amp2 comm stage, origin live dcmotor+ ultra speed control. Nait 5i amp Monitir Audio Gold GS10 speakers. currently got an AT95e cartridge which I think is letting the side but I thought I would get other things fixed first ( rumbling motor,fluffy mat too much flutter no wow about it and an unadjustable tonearm) TT is wall mounted. Any and all comments welcome and appreciated. I don’t like background, splashy treble, I listen to various musical genres jazz,world, rock, blues and classical. Typical newbie  !!    . Take the piss if you want Wink but share your expereince🙏experience please . Much appreciated 🙏
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:53pm
I have one of these - it's a decent performer and very good value for money.
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/at-vm95ml

Edited by Chris Firth - 23 Feb 2023 at 10:54pm
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:16am
There are so many offerings to choose from and personal preferences make offering suggestions difficult. If going for a modern MM cartridge for my Technics, I'd be looking at Nagaoka and Ortofon models in my price range. Personally ,I use 'classic' cartridges from 70'-80s such as the Te hnics EPC-205C and AR P77.  All down to what you like to hear.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 10:03am
I've been thinking recently about using an AT95E (again) with my Accession M because my record collection is so old and a lot of my rock records are badly mastered. EG "Speed King" by Deep Purple. We bought half a tray of the OEM version from AT yonks ago and I may have a good one left. The Ortofon 2M Black is great on perfect records, but very edgy on some rock LPs, and other pricey cartridges tend to be the same, and that means I don't get to enjoy some of my favourite albums.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 11:47am
VR, I would advice: 
1. Do use a PSU1 with your Gramamp 2 Communicator (big approvement)
2. a Nagaoka MP110 MI cart with your RB250/TechnoW

Very good results in my experience with both options :-) (see my signature!)
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 3:38pm
I am currently using an AT95 with a Shibata stylus. Sounds wonderful. 
I think the VM95ML is possibly a very good option, but so is the MP110.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 5:47pm
The AT95 and it's replacement, the VM95, is a good all rounder cartridge. The basic stylus is a bonded elliptical diamond but it can be upgraded.

In the UK, a very popular upgrade would be the Expert Stylus Paratrace for the old AT95. If you have a newer VM95, I would suggest the AT OEM nude elliptical "VM95EN" or the nude microridge/microline "VM95ML", depending on record condition.

I agree the very extreme stylus profiles will tend to be a double edged sword with some records. If you are lucky they can track below surface damage sometimes, but if not, you will hear more flaws, especially if the records haven't been cleaned on a vac-machine.

Edited by patientot - 24 Feb 2023 at 8:36pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic