FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Can snake oil fix a bad room? (a survey)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:42pm
Because you've planned for this issue we enjoy hifi without these problems.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

By the way I fitted some Audioquest phono caps yesterday and think it sounds slightly better. I shall see if the frequency analysis is different...

I fitted some today, and I hear improvement too.
It's not earth shattering, but I am hearing improved resolution and deep into mixes.
Bass seems to plumb deeper into the depths too.

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
There does appear a small but noticeable improvement from all those that have recently tried some over a range of equipment.
Top Gear had a cool and uncool board, it seems maybe we need a genuine and other board, of which these RCA caps appear on the genuine board!
Captain Snakeoil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Snakeoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
it was your discussion on this thread which led me to try something on a budget as £70 for the 20 caps I'd need is too much for me to gamble with. I realise I have left myself wide open for ridicule, I do stress this in my post. However, I also stress the plugs I've cobbled together do indeed improve details in the 'soundscape'. That I am extremely pleased with the results and am in No doubt as to the benefits of capping unused RCA's. Once again I offer my thanks for the knowledge, curiosity and intelligence shared by key members of this forum. 
Thanks John 
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:02pm
I'm still trying to get my head around the cause of the improvement, because all the Audioquest caps do is attach to the ground connection.
Maybe plugging the holes stops the music leaking out all over the floor ....... LOL
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I'm still trying to get my head around the cause of the improvement, because all the Audioquest caps do is attach to the ground connection.
Maybe plugging the holes stops the music leaking out all over the floor ....... LOL

That might be the most credible explanation. Wink
I can't verify the effect as I don't have any unused RCA inputs on my Majestic, perhaps the best solution?Big smile
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:06pm
I had modified (please don't try this at home) my Elevator to add a second pair of MC inputs. It was those which had open and then capped off with the Audioquests. Given the knowledge and example RFI measures Graham shared last week, you can see my open sockets were effectively antennae feeding interference into the circuit board. Even so the difference is quite small which I think reflects how well the EXP is designed and built, even if someone drills two extra holes in the metal box.

As I am only running the one MC cartridge now I may reverse the mod soon. I will leave the Audioquest covers on the redundant pair of phono sockets.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 16 Sep 2017 at 9:08pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic