FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Can a single PSU1 power two components?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nuvistam3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuvistam3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a single PSU1 power two components?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:52am
Good day!

I am a new member to this forum, but a hi-fi addict for 35 years. A recent purchase of a 55 kg monster Musical Life Symphony turntable has revived my love of vinyl (after decades of mostly frustrating times trying to decide whether the suspension on my Linn Sondek and later Oracle Delphi was set up correctly, it is pure joy having no suspension at all; just mass and almost unbelieveable delicacy, transparency, detail and bass!). However, with the new 'near perfect'' sound I am eager to find out just how much more music and detail can be extracted with a decent phono stage (again doubting the abilities of my Lehmann Black Cube and the on-board stages in my Quad, Krell and Musical Fidelity pre-amps). Much web-surfing has led me to Graham Slee, which is already familiar to me through my amazing little Solo headphone amp that lives next to my bed. Now it is a question of whether I should get a Reflex C, or an Elevator plus Reflex M (or Era Gold Mk V) - the latter appears to be Graham's recommendation and would probably make sense with  my collection of cartridges), but at a considerable extra cost (and the availability of funds is a touchy subject after the turntable purchase!). Which brings me to the question of whether it would be possible to use the PSU1 I got with my Solo to power a Reflex M and Elevator combo, thereby reducing cost if I can buy them with the standard Green power supplies. (Yes, I am sure this will void warranties, but I consider this to be a 'hypothetical' question Embarrassed). 
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:23am
Graham would have to answer, but I do not believe the PSU1 has enough "juice" to power both units concurrently.
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:42am
We've been slowly working on this in the background for a few years now.

I can envisage using the PSU1 for say two items but not for everything in the range - it can do more than its rated current but only by upping the fuse and that takes it out of its approved safety territory which we wouldn't like to recommend. We have to consider possible fault conditions, which may never happen, but may one day, and the fuse rating covers such an eventuality.

We converted the Elevator EXP last year to make it able to function with the same power supply as the phono stage (any of them), but we have to ensure older Elevator EXP's do not get used like this because the power supply would be partially shorted.

Apart from that, it's a matter of making a suitable adapter to distribute the power without compromising the ground, which means without causing ground loops.

Thanks for the reminder - another job that needs fitting in.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
nuvistam3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuvistam3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 1:27pm
Thanks for the prompt response Graham. Looks like it will have to be the expensive (and better) route then - look out for my order in the near future!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:45pm
Graham, I have been running the Genera and Solo Ultra Linear from the same PSU1. Any thoughts on the loading please?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 5:58pm
For information, I have gone back to using a Green (SMPS) supply for my Genera so the PSU1 is only powering the Solo Ultra Linear. I think there is a very small improvement in the Solo's dynamics at higher listening levels with my LCD-2 headphones and assume it is down to a little extra current being available.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic