FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cable size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 10:21am
Well lets try again.
Wrote a reply a moment ago and it disappeared. just updated to windows 10, if it does not get better will be going back to 7.
Rant over.
Thanks for all the replies.
Richard what make of plugs do you use.
Was told bare wire beats plugs for sound, but every days a learning day.
Cheers
Dave 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 1:28pm
Hi Dave.

I used bare Naim NAC5 and Absolute Wire Force 4 for a number of years bi-wired with bare wires.  I bought a cheap set of gold plated banansa from Maplin and found the sound more focused, tighted and clearer (in simple terms).  These were screwed in to the plug so still likely to oxidise.

I moved initially to a combination of WBT CU Banana/spades - my brother commented that he found the spades empahised (in a coloured way) the middle bass and treble in a form of a peak depending on whether on bass unit or tweeter.  I swithed to all WBT Nextgen 610 CU Banana and and the peaks/clouratioon dissapeared.

Whilst I cannot recall precisely what tiggered me to do so but I invested in a pair of WBT Nextgen 610 Silver Bananas.  Very expensive and whilst up to around 100 hours they were extremely tight, punchy and detailed they upper mid was rather 'untamed' and uncontrolled but settled down at 100 hours nicely.  They were more open and natural, better imaging, more dynami, powerful, punchy etc, etc.  I later invested in two more sets - one for the speaker end and one at the amp end so three sets in all. 

End result - a far more natural, open, detailed presentation, grear BUT with the health warning, seriously DO NOT JUDGE the Mid/Trebble until they have 100 hours on the clock otherwise you would probably return them!

I have been quite shocked as how much difference the plugs/spades/banana and finally silver bananas have made far more that I would ever have expected silly really but true.

Two final points - they also make binding posts which appear to have a similar impact though cannot comment on the magnitude as I rewired and recaps speakers at the same time though my brother has recently upgraded hs speaker binding posts with big improvements.  Also don't forget to clear plugs/bindeing posts periodically - more so with bare wires - try a cotton bud with Deoxit and stand by for a shock! 

As I think has been illuded to if the wires are 'crimped' as I think Graham does this should improve contacts and make less prone to oxidisation.

Let me know if you want any further info but a pack of chepies may be a starter to try.

Kind regards
Richard
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 2:08pm

Just to add a little to the discussion, I have not tried the plugs that Richard has, but I was previously using a well respected speaker cable with bare ends and trialled a pair of Spatia with the standard banana plugs that GSP use and was sufficiently impressed to purchase a pair.

The banana plugs that GSP use have a spring wire that ensures a nice firm physical connection.

Perhaps you might like to borrow a pair with the standard banana plugs and see what you think.

Tony G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:05pm
Yes I would suggest Tony's option is good one quite probably at a more reasonable cost! 

I had hoped that having invested in equipment, then cables it woudl end there but unfortunately plugs add further confusion .. . and cost!

Richard
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 8:19am
Thanks Richard and Tony
The silver plugs are almost as dear as the spatia cables, and that might be the way I will go.
Cheers
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:02pm
Yes they are and I agree with your thought process. I still think it would be worth you experimenting with some budget plugs. Whilst agreeing on the cost of the plugs from my experience they benefits provided by the top plugs do reflect their performance increase ( on the wet at least) and with better cables their benefit is broadly comparable with the cost of the cable upgrade. This has provided one of the most unexpected and bizarre upgrade I have experienced. From my own examples the plug change was far greater than the change from the Era gold to the ReflexM for example. Will wait and see on the Accesssion at some stage!!!
Good luck, Richard

FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 1:29pm
Will start saving, though at this time of year the pension pennies tend to head in one direction only.
Thanks once again Richard.
Cheers
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic