FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm
It is awesome that an actually designer has said this. Talk about an unending internet debate! But this should (but won’t, unfortunately) put it to bed.
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:15pm
funny story about burn in. I got my new solo ulde and a new set of PH1 and MA1 cables from Morrow Audio at the same time. I set everything up and for some reason remained very focused on the cable burn in. Probably because Morrow Audio makes a big deal about it. At first, the setup was so harsh I couldn’t even listen to it. I switched to some other cables and it seemed pretty ok if a bit thin. Over the next couple days, the sound opened up in a way that I almost couldn’t believe. I was burning in the cables using a radio on static and then attaching them to listen to TT at night. I really was amazed at how good those cables sounded after about 100 hrs of break in. Except, I forgot something very important. The ULDE was also burning in during that period. Probably sounds foolish that I missed this obvious fact but I didn’t think the burn in would be so drastic on the GS product, only because my Reflex M had a more subtle burn in trajectory. 

I was super stoked about how amazing Morrow Audio cables are and was ready to buy a whole bunch and upgrade about every connection in my setup. 

Before I pulled the trigger, I decided I better double check that the cables are as good as I thought. I found some old rca cables for computers (very old) and also got out my previous, $50 Mies rca connectors. Did some A/B/C testing and was puzzled that the Morrow Audio upgrade was suddenly very slight over the other cables. The main difference seemed to be they were well shielded so didn’t pick up any noise, while the other two did. Sound wise, the other cables were pretty close to the Morrow Audio, but I will say MAs we’re still better, only a bit. 

Then it dawned on me that it was actually the ULDE burn in that made almost all the difference. I think the MA cables simply went from sounding bad to sounding slightly better than normal. 

Ha. So moral of story is I’m a moron. 

Edited by Pushpaw - 09 Sep 2020 at 6:16pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:11am
I think we can all be stupid when struggling to find explanations for things we can't immediately see. I would suggest burn-in for electronics is much more significant than for interconnects. I'm not sure whether the electrical behaviour of interconnects even changes over time. I realise an entire assembled cable will have capacitance and inductance no matter how small. Maybe it's something to do with dipole alignment in long conductors?? Similar to an an explanation for cable directionality? Yes, audio signals can propagate in either direction in a metallic conductor but can dipole alignment potentially altered by high voltage flash testing during manufacture create a slight bias in directionaity?? By bias, I don't mean in terms of magnitude of the signal. I mean in terms of phase/coherence.

Edited by Ash - 10 Sep 2020 at 9:20am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Euee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Euee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:24am
I am a new entrant to the world of Graham Slee (Novo) and am thoroughly enjoying myself reading all the posts on this topic. Can somebody please tell me if I should expect a burn in period when changing to a new PSU1 to replace the standard AC adapter for my Novo?
Euan
Str8Wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Str8Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:00pm
I’m wondering the same with the Enigma.
rockyboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockyboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:05pm
I have both and I never noticed them needing a burn in. 

Mike
GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:13pm
Hi Euan and Mike
I would say yes but It's not the same as for Headphone amp and phono amps, I don't think you are going hear a big difference. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic