FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Brilliant and Gorgeous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 1:47am
hi All,
   I have no such drama with my 2M Black on the RP8. It's not as quiet as the Bronze, granted, but I've had much noisier than the Black. I use Acoustic Signature shims under the RB808 arm to raise it 3mm. They're EASY to use and quite cheap, too.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:12am
And another thought! If the headshell bolts are too tight, the upper harmonics can get quite the boost. It tightens up the bass, but makes the overall sound much brighter.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

And another thought! If the headshell bolts are too tight, the upper harmonics can get quite the boost. It tightens up the bass, but makes the overall sound much brighter.
Mick.

That's something of a potential problem for all cartridges with captive threads.
I've had a couple of carts like that, my DNM Reson Reca and my Sumiko BPS Evo III, and I found that they both got a bit screechy if the bolts were over tightened.

I think that in this day and age that all cartridges should have captive threads, so I was a little bit disappointed to find that the Hana carts don't have them.
As problems go it's no biggie, but it would have been nice if it did have them.
Tiny nuts and bolts and large fingers make for much swearing, but the old nuts and bolts scenario makes it much harder to over tighten things.
hedgehog@35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgehog@35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:39pm
Totally agree about captive threads on cartridges. Spare a thought for us over - sixties with dodgy eyesight and shaky hands. Even after mounting the cartridge, a real pain to do fine adjustments for overhang and offset with nuts and bolts. One reason why I went to SME where once the cartridge is fixed to the headshell you don't have to touch it again!
Have to agree with Mick about the  2M black. Does have extended treble and lots of detail, but like all cartridges, I think you have to balance the sound with the rest of your system. Don't think I would use if my electronics or speakers erred towards the bright side of neutral.
Also sometimes think that the 2M black is paired with arms that don't really do it justice.
I'd rather spend my money on getting the best deck and arm I could even if meant getting a cheaper cartridge. I have found that a good, cheap cartridge in a great turntable usually sounds better than an expensive cartridge in a moderate deck.
Others might disagree!
Russell
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by hedgehog@35 hedgehog@35 wrote:

Also sometimes think that the 2M black is paired with arms that don't really do it justice.
Quite possibly. Mine sits in my ProJect deck because the deck came supplied with a 2M Red that I didn't enjoy, so I took the plunge and upgraded to Black. I rather suspect that the light tonearm would work better with a different cart but find one - in terms of spec - is proving rather tricky.

Originally posted by hedgehog@35 hedgehog@35 wrote:

I'd rather spend my money on getting the best deck and arm I could even if meant getting a cheaper cartridge. I have found that a good, cheap cartridge in a great turntable usually sounds better than an expensive cartridge in a moderate deck. Others might disagree!

You're possibly right, but again, one has to cut one's cloth to suit. I have no option to upgrade my TT without incurring the wrath and upset of my dear wife (it was a wedding present from her). So all I can do is get the most out of it by upgrading the equipment "around" it. That's not to say that the Black is best option but when the only real way to find out is to buy and try, that becomes a cost-limited project.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:54am
Anyone wanting to hear my Hana EL need look no further than here:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:46am
Very good, Bob. 

The Eric Coates music for me certainly evokes memories of Workers Playtime of the 1950s listened at home during the school lunch break!

Still enjoying my Hana SL. Sound Fidelity had one on demo at the National Audio Show, it was fitted to a prototype turntable built in north Oxford that was launched at the show by Planalogue Limited. The turntable goes under the name of The Prelude, brief details on their web site     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic