FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Brief Owner of Gram Amp 2 SE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Gasman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brief Owner of Gram Amp 2 SE
    Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 10:12pm
Hi everyone

I'm a very transient owner (so far) but was encouraged by an admin to join and post - so here I am.

After doing much research and reading many positive reviews, I bought a GS Gram Amp 2 SE to go in between my P******t turntable with Ortofon 2M Black and Roksan K3 Integrated amp.

I was pleased with the unit's build quality and tactile feel. In terms of the sound quality, the soundstage immediately impressed as did the unit's presentation of vocals. The bass however disappointed me massively - to the extent that after 3 hours of listening, I had to concede that this unit just wasn't going to work for me. Overall, I preferred the sound from the integrated phono stage on the Roksan K3.

Now, I'm already hearing the shouts of "BURN IN" and I completely acknowledge I did not follow advice in this regard. But if this unit was going to get to a point where I was going to be happy with the bass response after a week...... well, that would be the most dramatic turnaround of aural quality I've ever experienced with any audio component of 40 years of this hobby. As it happened, I wasn't prepared to take the risk and decided to return it to the retailer while I still could. Although unboxed (of course) they very kindly refunded my money.

I'm wondering should I have gone for a different unit in the range? Also, would the improved power supply make a significant difference?
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:17am
In sonic quality, The Reflex M with a PSU1 would be next up for improvements to bass and over all frequencies. Yes there is much more bass after just 3-to-4 days being constantly powered up. 
 All of Graham Slee's designs are made to be powered-on continuously and will "settle in" to a very sweet sound when fully broke-in.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:19am
Have you heard of our loaner program?
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:21am
I would try to get a loaner of both the Reflex M and Accession and compare for yourself. Sorry the GA2SE didn't work out for you but I would not simply write off the brand. Where are you based? That would determine which loan coordinator you need to contact.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Gasman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:35am
No! I wish I had.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:43am
Bruce
Gasman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 12:44am
Thanks BAK. New Zealand as it happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic