FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bookshelf speaker rubber feet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bookshelf speaker rubber feet
    Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:09pm
Hi everyone

I've got a pair of Canton GLE 430's and I have them standing on top of my bookshelves. One on each opposite facing bookshelf, about 12 feet apart, but not facing each other directly but rather diagonally aimed at the center of the room from the corners.
Anyway as it is they just stand bare on top of the bookshelves so I'm thinking of getting some sort of isolating rubber feet.
Does anyone have any tips to share?

Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:25am
Blue-Tak
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:09pm
Thanks!
I believe a visit to the local stationery shop is in my near future. Geek
Is it best applied in small corner lumps or like a big pad under the whole thing?

Johan
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 7:04pm
Squash balls cut in half!

Although, i thought pointy feet were supposed to be best?

Adrian.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Thanks!
I believe a visit to the local stationery shop is in my near future. Geek
Is it best applied in small corner lumps or like a big pad under the whole thing?

Johan

I find small corner lumps work best and they also prevent the speakers being accidentally knocked off axis.

You could find that a corner placement produces a considerable bass boost and veils much of the mid range and higher frequencies.

Ideally you want a placement that arranges the sounds (instruments, singers etc) along the wall outside the speaker boxes with some depth in front and behind the speakers (yes, behind or beyond the wall - it should be possible).

I have found that positioning the speakers so their axis aims just to the left and to the right of you often produces a good stereo image.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

Squash balls cut in half!

Although, i thought pointy feet were supposed to be best?

Adrian.

Pointy feet are best for sales of new flooring materials and shelfs... Wink

They are not very good for marital bliss... Ouch
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

You could find that a corner placement produces a considerable bass boost and veils much of the mid range and higher frequencies.

Ideally you want a placement that arranges the sounds (instruments, singers etc) along the wall outside the speaker boxes with some depth in front and behind the speakers (yes, behind or beyond the wall - it should be possible).

I have found that positioning the speakers so their axis aims just to the left and to the right of you often produces a good stereo image.

Yes, speaker placement surely is a devil. Although when stationary I rely mostly on my cans, so my aim in positioning the speakers is to get an as equally balanced soundstage throughout the room as possible rather than creating a single sweet spot. Maybe the two aren't exclusive to one another but I prioritise the first when positioning my speakers.
Also, the speakers aren't actually placed right in the corners but simply just closer to than midwall.

Anyways, thanks for the blue-tak tip! I will definitely try it

Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic