FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bluetooth and Airplay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cypsela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cypsela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth and Airplay
    Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 8:52pm
I am interested in buying a Majestic, but I am unsure about the best way to cable (or not) various components.
Bluetooth appears to attract a bad press on the forum and I am unsure whether a distinction can be made in music quality between Bluetooth and AirPlay,(two very different systems I understand).
I have Apple devices and one option is to use Airplay as part of the connectivity ,but should I use all cable to achieve the best sound ?
David
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:55am
Cable will always bring the best sound IMO because it dispenses with two lots of wireless (transmission and reception). OK, it's only doing 0's and 1's but it involves compression, or should I say, throwing away some 0's and 1's to make it work whilst still sounding like audio?!

The public has been let loose with all the crappy radio frequencies professional broadcasters wouldn't touch with a bargepole (and maybe some they used but didn't really want).

So now we can do all this stuff wirelessly, wow! But there are more compromises in these little devices than professional broadcasters would ever tolerate.

We've played around with Bluetooth and aptX and in my opinion it is all a sales gimmick - the latest money making scheme for a world which never perfects anything, because perfection doesn't make money.

Give it any trademark you want and muck about with algorithms, giving them trending names - earn big bucks - billions of dollars. They're a growing group of people who say "do we really need high fidelity to hear music?". No, you don't need high fidelity to hear music! We had steam radio and you heard music from that too!

You can also whistle your favourite tunes!

But if you're anything like me, you want to get yourself lost inside every intricacy of where the musical journey is taking you... well, you can't if an algorithm decided it wasn't necessary!!!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

But if you're anything like me, you want to get yourself lost inside every intricacy of where the musical journey is taking you... well, you can't if an algorithm decided it wasn't necessary!!!

Thumbs Up
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic