FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:21pm
I got the box new pair of DM685's this monday and initially they did sound quite dull and hard, then rather bright and harsh but now after maybe 15 hours of being played they really start to sound great. Not as great as the demoing pair yet but still a lot better than they did the first few hours. To hasten the burn-in some I played them so loud yesterday that my ears eventually went a bit numb, I hope my neighbours weren't at home as it was working hours. No Ouch yet at least. Smile
I didn't play the burn in noise CD though as it was too hard to listen to. I used it a bit with my headphones/amp back when they were burning in but with loudspeakers it's more or less impossible to bear! Instead I played the brilliant Concerto Italiano with Rinaldo Allesandrini rendition of the Brandenburg Concertos really loud which apart from being a very fun and well played variation is very well recorded and produced too. I somehow think classical music might be a good choice of burn-in music.

Johan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 9:12pm
Wow, sounds like you are really enjoying the music. Good choices! I think you are right about a gentler burn-in and enjoying music whilst that's going on Johan.
Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:26am
Yes, why not be a little patient and have fun whilst instead if you can. But I'm actually a little taken aback by how good they sound after just little more than a dozen hours, even if the've been quite loud many of them Tongue. I had expected at least a week of running them before I would really start liking them.

Eventually I'd like to try bi-wiring them though. Now if I purchase a pair of higher end speaker cables, am I right to assume one should feed the woofer with the better pair? Or can you even use dual pairs of different cables, or does it have to be specific bi-wiring cables?

Johan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 7:51am
Very good!

You can use a pair of standard speaker cables, which don't have to be the same. When I was bi-wiring I have used the thicker cable for the bass/woofer. I would use the best cable on the mid/high. What do others suggest?

Edited by Fatmangolf - 05 Jan 2012 at 7:54am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 3:12pm
Thanks Jon! I figure that the woofer does most of the work and most things happen below 4 khz so therefore it should get the better pair of cables.

Edited by suede - 05 Jan 2012 at 3:13pm
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 8:15pm
So, I went and got a pair of new Supra Ply 3.4 speaker cables earlier today and tried bi-wiring my 685's using the new cables for the woofers and the old generic ones for the tweeters. I didn't really like it though. I thought it made the speakers sound more laid back in quite an unexiting way. Unhappy
I didn't try it like that for more than a few minutes since I was eager to try the new cables solo as well, and I don't know if I'm just so used to this arrangement but I think it sounds better and has more punch this way.
It could also be that the cables were not identical of course, somehow it seemed as if the tweeter didn't get enough juice when bi-wired.
I do think the new cables are an upgrade from the old ones, that's for sure, but I guess I had expected a little more. Do speaker cables burn-in as well? It sounds a bit dodgy, maybe I just need to burn in my brain for 100 hours Tongue

Edit:
I tried to put the new more expensive Supra Ply 3.4 cables connected to the tweeters and the old ones to the woofers instead and it sounded much better this way IMO. They became too over-emphasised in the bass the other way around. Now they sound great, although the bass was much smoother and musical with the ply 3.4's on the woofer terminals. Maybe I should get a new length of this cable to match.
One small snag though is that on some recordings the vocal parts gets a little lost behind the more dramatic walls of sound. It's not at all boom, but rather just them being placed behind everything else to the point you almost can't work out the lyrics. I don't know yet if this is due to the configuration or just the recordings being like that. Ermm
Has anyone got any thoughts it would sure be appreciated!

Cheers
Johan

Edited by suede - 18 Jan 2012 at 8:16pm
86inch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86inch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 2:55pm
I've tried bi-wiring various speaker combo's from Kef/Rotel to my now current setup of Quad 22L2/Exposure 2010s.
Other than in my first set of KEF Q15s where bi-wiring certainly had a mite of a positive impact (sufficient for me to use it) i've never noticed any real impact on the dynamics or presentation of the sound. In certain areas i found the sound to change, or was it just me? but in the main i stuck with single cables.
Moving onto my Exposures.. I have the 2010 Integrated and power amp. Stage one was pre-power only setup with biwiring... OK, a step up from my previous amp.
Stage 2 was pre=power, single cables... No notable change as i've usually found.
Then moving onto stage 3 and following an Exposure tip was to bi-amp with the Integrated and power amps. This brought real positive benefits of drive, clarity and timing, true Exposure "PRaT"  and i've left it ever since. One thing i've never tried is to alter which set of drivers is powered by which amp, but its perhaps something i ought to try.

In all cases my speaker cable has been a home-grown recipe of UTP cable.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic