FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie. Took the plunge & iTunes alternative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:20pm
Bigasoft FLAC Converter for Mac ?

However costs $20 which sounds a lot for what it does. It allows 5min of conversion free.
Hope this helps.
wolfie01902 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfie01902 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:25pm
Hello again,
Sorry its actually called FLACTunes. Its on the App Store for Macs. £1.65 I think (or about thirty bob)

Here's what the developer says:
FLACTunes is the easiest way to get your FLAC files to play in iTunes and your iPhone or iPod. Drag in your FLAC files and they get imported into iTunes. Simple. $3.99
Lossless conversion — FLACTunes converts your music into Apple Lossless, preserving every bit of sound quality in the original track.
Metadata preservation — FLACTunes preserves all your track information, including album art.
Multi-threaded — FLACTunes uses all the cores of your processor to import FLAC as efficiently as possible.

Whilst talking about iTunes ;
Honestly I never knew iTunes was quite so disliked. I have no problems with that just never knew it was regarded as a bit naff in hifi terms.

So... When my Bitzie arrives I will try as the gentleman suggested "Bitperfect" but on the WHAT HIFI site today, whilst previewing the Naim DAC-V1 they say this;
"you could just use this with the BitPerfect add-on for iTunes, but then I’d go out of my way to avoid using iTunes for anything I can. In fact, aside from downloading subscribed podcasts, I’m not sure when I last actually used it. if you’re going to go much beyond CD quality – and if you want to play FLAC files – you’ll have to look beyond the iTunes, and for my time with the DAC-V1 I obtained copies of both Audirvarna and Amarra players for OSX".
Pretty damning for iTunes.
I don't take WHIFI says as gospel, but from what I've read on this forum as well, it does seem iTunes can be bettered. Interested in what others think. No idea what Audirvarna and Amarra cost.

By the way anyone tried Grado GS1000's? I broke the bank to get them a few years ago, look awful, even look cheap, leak sound like nothing else but when I played the "Pros & Cons of Hitchicking" by Rog Waters through them I was hooked.

Regards
Jeremy
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:49pm
33 bob!

I have no problem with iTunes, but I have virtually no HiRes files and virtually no downloaded files of any variety. 99% of my iTunes library is ripped as ALAC, using Rip, from CDs. I have been researching a bit in case I download more HiRes files and I think Amarra would probably top my list of choices.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:03am
The best format conversion tool I have found for OSX is XLD. I like the fact that you can load in cue files and it will output the source file as individual tracks.

Audirivana is a great playback solution which can run in iTunes integrated mode or stand alone. It makes a huge improvement to the playback imo. It also features a handy option which allows you to add FLAC files into the iTunes library via associating proxy files.

On Win 7 I currently use Foobar 2K although the long term plan is to move to JRiver.

All these work great with the Bitzie (which sounds incredible btw).
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:47am
My dislike of iTunes really stems from having to use it to setup and sync all our Apple devices, rather than it's music abilities. I like Apple hardware, and OSX is much nicer to use than Windoze Embarrassed. YMMV of course! 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

My dislike of iTunes really stems from having to use it to setup and sync all our Apple devices, rather than it's music abilities.
I don't find that an issue at all. We have four Macs, of which two have large iTunes libraries. Home sharing is switched on and there are 4 music systems in the house all connected by Homeplug and Ethernet. Any of the 3 iPhones, 1 iPad and 4 macs can access either of the iTunes libraries and via AirPlay selection (note only iPhones, iPad and 2 laptops, none of which hold the music files, are wireless; everything else is wired) send whatever music to whichever room.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
c_subich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_subich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:08pm
O.K. Jeremy I'm a newbie here also.

I have been running music on a Mac mini for several years and Pure Music is my app of choice. You still retain all of the iTunes organization (database, playlists etc.) but Pure Music piggybacks on it by way of Apple's CoreAudio technology. It works very well and is less expensive than Amarra. If you search for it you can download a time limited trial so that you can evaluate it for free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic