FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie - iphone 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bitzie - iphone 6
    Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:35pm
I finally got around to testing this after borrowing the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) lead from a friend. It's basically a lightning cable with USB at the other end. I'm delighted to say that it works with the Bitzie and sounds mighty fine too. Even Spotify sounds good to my ears.

Hats off to Graham. You can add this to the known list of compatible devicesStar

As for the iphone / Bitzie as a portable solution, well it's not really practical to carry a Lautus USB cable around so I'm looking for a smaller cable. I believe they call them LOD's over at Head-fi?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Stewboss - 27 Jun 2015 at 5:37pm
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:14pm
Thanks for the news Stuart - I will now get an Apple CCK so I wont have to take the old Galaxy S3 away with me when I travel, just the iPhone

I use a thinner, shorter, USB A-B 'printer' cable which I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
I have just tried the CCK and it works perfectly between Bitzie and the following Apple devices, all running IOS 8.3:

IPhone 6
iPhone 5S
iPad 4th Gen
iPad Mini

(CCK attached via USB printer lead for use when travelling)

Volume works independantly on the Apple device & Bitzie at the same time so maybe the DAC is receiving a partly processed signal? FLAC files from the two phones sound very good though, just like the Bitzie/Samsung S3. Headphones tried: Shure IE535s and Senn HD540 IIs

I won't need to take the S3 phone next time I travel so thanks again to Stuart Smile
Andrew
cypsela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cypsela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm
Regarding the CCK,is this the original one with a 30 pin connector and therefore do you have a lightning to 30 pin connector in the mix?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by cypsela cypsela wrote:

Regarding the CCK,is this the original one with a 30 pin connector and therefore do you have a lightning to 30 pin connector in the mix?

It has female USB to lightning connector as shown (white) in the small photo. 30 pin is an older CCK and not compatible with newer Apple devices

Edited by Drewan77 - 02 Jul 2015 at 3:02pm
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 3:32pm
"...industry observers believe that Lightning was used for several advantages, such as Apple charging a license fee for the Apple MFi chip in the Lightning cable..." Wikipedia

It's USB Jim, but not as we know it!

5 pin micro-USB (the type used on "free" devices such as the S3) uses pin 5 to signal direction. jumpered to pin 4, the device then knows to send, and that's what an OTG cable does.

Apple makes it difficult because difficult equates to licence money. I wouldn't want to divulge my thoughts on the Apple marketing technique because the word I'd use could have me facing their lawyers in a court with no escape route... but I can see why they have such a massive following (slaves to Apple IMO).

By using a "chip in the cable" it somehow knows whether to send or receive data. So it's not a case of if the Bitzie works with this or that - it should be a case of if this or that works with the Bitzie...

But, as I keep saying, it's an upside down world (as Bowie spells out in "Slow Burn").
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
cypsela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cypsela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 5:29pm
Thanks,but in respect of the CCK unit I am no clearer.
The only CCK I can find in the Apple Store is the original 30 pin connector type so I am curious as to whether I am looking in the wrong place or that the one you have is non Apple?

I do have the older 30 pin CCK and I now have managed to make music by inserting a lightning to 30 pin adaptor in the chain.

Following Graham's comment,it would appear that old and new Apple devices work with the the Bitzie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic