FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Beyerdynamic DT 770

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
rushun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beyerdynamic DT 770
    Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 12:18am
Hi all!
I am currently using a pair of Senn. HD 565 Ovation headphones that, whilst excellent, are open-backed and 'bleed' sound out into the room. This means they are impractical for using whilst my 'other half' is enjoying Eastenders!

My search for a good set of closed-back phones has thrown up the reasonably-priced Beyerdynamic DT 770. I am a bit confused at the options and wondered if anyone could advise me. Firstly they are available in 80 ohm or 250 ohm versions. Which would be the best to go with my GS Green Solo amp?

Secondly, does anyone know the differences between the standard DT 770, the DT 770 Special Edition and the DT 770 Pro? The styling on the Special Edition looks more up to date( on Amazon website anyway!). Also some reviewers say they are a little heavy on the bass - anyone know if this is a problem?

I guess I'm after a closed-back design that I can live with as easily as the Sennheisers but that are more 'spouse-friendly! Anyone have any other recommendations? I listen mainly to rock (prog/heavy).
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 1:13am
Hi rushun,

How can anyone enjoy Eastenders?

I would get an audition between the many versions of the DT770 because we had at least one customer who wasn't pleased with the output (too low). Maybe a member here has better experience?

My favourite for the "Green" and other things I'm working on is the Audio Technica ATH A900 - it is closed back but very musical - it is a bit bass heavy but if I'm not listening critically I prefer their sound.

For many years I have done my development using the linear Sennheiser HD250 (guaranteed to lose your cred!). It isn't called "linear" for nothing - it's ruthless! And probably why forum land made sure of its demise. It is also closed back.

Hope the others join in this reply.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 2:46am
I have used the Audio Technica ATH-W1000, it is a very nice unit but pricey. Currently I have a few closed back units that sound very good but may need a bit of tweaking. For example:

1. Equation Eartool RP21: An inexpensive can which is a very good performer that can be improved using the Beyer DT880 pads for more cofort. The stock pleather pads are very hot. Also remove the foam in front of the driver and replace it using the beyer's foam that comes w/ the pads.

2. Ultrasone HFI-780: This are a pain for the first 500 hours, so they need lots of burn-in. Ultrasone uses a really chap cable that has lots of impedance so a recable is needed. This does not have to be expensive, use mogami or cardas ofc. While doing the recable remove the diode board that Ultrasone installs to "protect" the driver. If you listen so loud that the diodes are needed you are DEAF.

3. Denon AH-D5000: These need about 250 hours of burn in. Unfortunetly the bass can be a bit uncontrolled and the highs shrill to some. There is a mod posted by MarkL at Head-Fi which truly transforms the unit. Yes I have compared them side by side.

4. Audio Technica ATH-W5000: Did not care for it, could never enjoy them since the band creaked like crazy. Sold them to a member of Rock-Grotto who loves them.

5. JVC/Victor HP-DX1000: Could not stand them for the first 1,200 hours of burn-in. Now at 1,500 hours they are much better. The problem was a lack of top end which has now shown up. It has excellent soundstage and bass/mids.

6. Denond AH-D2000: Not as refined as the D5000 but w/ a lower price tag. If you perform the mods as per MarkL instructions you end up w/ a nice unit.

If money is an issue, look at 1 and 6. Oh, yes I have listened to the DT770 and they have way to much bass. Good luck.
Miguel
rushun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2008 at 12:50pm
Thanks for the replies! A few thoughts:

I feel that auditioning a few closed-back designs would be the way to go, however, finding a retailer that stocks a good range may be difficult (any ideas?). I normally put my blind faith in a range of Hi-Fi publications (not a great idea, I know!) and search out good prices on the net. I do feel dis-ingenuous using a retailer to decide on a product and then buying on-line, so in this case , I feel paying the extra for the service provided is the right thing to do. One of the reasons for considering the DT 770s is the fact that you can pick up a pair on-line for less than £100!
The Audio Technicas sound as if they should be on my shortlist (the ATH-W1000 are a Best Buy, way too pricey!) although they are quite a bit dearer than the Beyers.
AKG 270s also get a good review and are more in my price bracket, any experience of these?
At the end of the day it is a subjective judgement, I know, and one that can only be truly made be trying them out. I will spend a little time trying to find a dealer where this may be possible. I would be prepared to travel to London as I am not too far away (Oxford).
If anyone can help with a retailer that has a decent selection of phones on dem, please can you let me know. I know John Lewis have a fairly good selection of AV equipment, but probably not strictly 'audiophile' stuff.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2008 at 2:28pm

I understand that you have ruled them out on price, but my favourite with the Green Solo is the ATH-W1000 to which I fitted the leather W5000 pads for greater comfort.

On the strength of their performance with the Solo and Grahams recommendation perhaps shortlist the ATH A900.

Sorry, I am no help WRT UK retailers.

If you were to check headfi forum you might find a UK meet where it would be possible to audition many phones you would be unlikely to find in a retailers.

rushun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2008 at 4:02pm
Thanks tg for your input!

I think my shortlist thus far would be : DT 770, Denon AH-D2000, and ATH-W900 (W1000s if I come into some cash or get lucky on Ebay!).
I have been turned off the AKG K270 somewhat by reports of their linearity that may expose poorly recorded material (as with the Senns that Graham mentioned).
With ref. to the post from mrarroyo earlier, I am really reluctant to attempt 'mods' myself for fear of screwing up a decent piece of kit (although I did successfully dis-assemble my 565s to tighten the cable plug-ins). My view is that there should be something out there for my requirements that works 'straight out of the box'.
Two of my main concerns of 'buying without trying' are that the ability of the phones to keep sound in is not good enough and that the fit may not be good as I have a small head!(I guess these two things are mutually inclusive to a point). 
Thanks your views (keep 'em coming).
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2008 at 6:06pm
Rushun, hello.

I can say with feeling I know where you're coming from... in fact I'm 'there' (Mrs + Junior multiplayer on the DS... loudly ) right now with the HD250s pumping PJ Harvey. I agree the 250s can be exposing but I find generally in a good way... maybe I've just been lucky with recordings.

I had to work hard to track down a pair earlier this year (they're officially discontinued but stoneaudio.co.uk currently shows a pair in stock) after reading Graham's frequent comments & disclosure that they've been a key development tool.

IMHO... Pros
- generally engaging and honest... and when there's bass in the recording, you get bass
- certainly immersive (Richard Ashcroft 1st solo sounds amazing)
- isolation is pretty good provided you have good coupling
- consistent with the Senn house sound
- good at mid and higher volume
- lightweight(ish) & medium comfort (has anyone tried beyer velour with them?)
- easy cable upgrade (supplied cable is OK but I hear a clear improvement even with 650 stock)
- good mid-sized soundstage (tho' smaller than DT770)
- good instrument positioning
- Better for rock than HD650... more energy 'up top'

IMHO... could be better
- construction (tempted to get a spare for when they break)
- ear coupling - sometimes struggle to get good position and long hair is a disadvantage
- needs a proper amp to sing at all... for me the voyager doesn't quite do it with the 250s (you have a solo, so no problem)
- once or twice I have found them fatiguing but could've been a mood, recording or volume issue

If I just wanted one closed pair for use at home with the solo, the 250s would definitely be it.

I haven't heard most of Mrarroyo's list tho' for me W1000 isolation is not great and its a very different sound sig from Senn.

My other closed cans are DT770pro (an occasional change of colour), HD280 (robust and good isolation but not for critical listening) and HD25 (with 650 cable, wonderful to take anywhere with the voyager... if I could only have 1 pair of cans, it would be these for their complete versatility).

For ref. my main open cans are HD650, K701 & RS-1 all of which do different but brilliant jobs (and all can surprise you... Led Zep on the K701s, Hounds of Love on the RS-1).

I've read good things about Senn HD215 for ~£45 but probably notches below any of the other suggestions.

Places to go in UK to try/test? Now that's an issue that makes me wanna set up in that kind of business. I've mainly bought on recommendation/spec but Harrow Audio (www.harrowaudio.com) are now AT & Denon dealers but you'd have to arrange a demo well in advance for A900/ W1000 / W5000 / D2000/ D5000. (they know me as the local GSP raver but aren't quite upmarket enough to want to stock GS products)

Other places... dv247.com (London and elsewhere), noteworthyaudio.co.uk in Aylesbury, Shasonic (Tott court road)/Hifi care (Watford).

Good luck finding your own private heaven in the living room

James

P.S. when I get some £££, I plan to investigate Beyer DT48e/150 and maybe AT/Denon... or it could be a journey into vinyl

Edited by jamescodway - 29 Nov 2008 at 6:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic