FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best Way to Go?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ClevedonGinger View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClevedonGinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Way to Go?
    Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 3:50pm
Hi to all,

I’m a new member and are keen to get some advice on which path I take on a new phono stage, at the moment I’ve taken advantage of the excellent GS loan scheme - thanks again John! 

So I’ve tried the Reflex C with enigma- definitely an improvement over built in phono of my McIntosh C52
Using a Denon 103R and Vintage Technics SL1100 TT

Today I’ve setup the Accession MM enigma and swapped the cart to a brand new Nagaoka MP 200 also sounds impressive though I suspect when the cart has some use things will get better 🤔

I also have a Denon 301mk2 which is another MC cart, so the big question is what would be the best route to nirvana? I’m sure it’s going to be the Accession but which version considering my carts? Which would offer the most practical/sound?

Appreciate the input from the wiser out there😁

I did post on the New Members section a list of my equipment etc 

BTW what settings should I be using on the Accession MM ?

Edited by ClevedonGinger - 17 Sep 2021 at 3:54pm
Keep an Open Mind
GS Accession MC Silver
McIntosh C52 preamp McIntosh MC152 power
Technics SL1100 TT
Klipsch Forte 3 speakers
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:32pm
If you plan to stick with low ouput MC cartridges, I would point towards the Accession MC and PSU1 based on my experience with it over a few years.  I have an expensive turntable with a LOMC and a cheaper automatic one (the SL-7 I haved posted about recently) with an MM cartridge, and I like both of them. I am lucky to have those options. Which of yours do you prefer?

If it's the MP200 I suggest getting the Accession MM plus Enigma PSU1, and then add a Elevator EXP later to gives you the option of LOMC like  the DL301. Don't rush it. If you find after a couple of weeks the DL 301 (and/or 103) is ahead then AccMC may be best.

On the DL 301 through the Reflex C, may I suggest borrowing an Accession MC. Try 100 ohms loading, play some LP's and go up or down to compare. Let your ears decide.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 10:08am
Hi Lloyd,
I have a Nagaoka MP 200 on aTechnics SL1200GR playing through an Accession MM with PSU1( not Enigma) and to my ears this is well matched, giving great detail to the sound.  It was certain a revelation compared to the Pro****  phone amp I had previously.  I haven't any experience of MC cartridges so cannot comment, my way forward might be to a Nagaoka MP 500 when it comes to replacing the stylus.  But there is plenty of options offered by the GS equipment and the loaner scheme is the ideal way to find out what is best for you.

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClevedonGinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:55am
Many thanks both for the tips, Jon I think I better get in touch about a Acc C trouble is I’m enjoying the new Nagaoka and the 103r , both setups sound great, haven’t yet tried the 301mk2 🤔

The obvious choice would be Acc M plus elevator which allows practical use of all of my carts?

Slightly embarrassed by the amount of choices, sure people on here will recognise 😁

Just trying to convince myself this will be my last hifi upgrade ☺️
Keep an Open Mind
GS Accession MC Silver
Technics SL1100 TT
Klipsch Forte 3 speakers
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClevedonGinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
………is the Acc M plus elevator as good as the Acc C using MC carts?
Keep an Open Mind
GS Accession MC Silver
Technics SL1100 TT
Klipsch Forte 3 speakers
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:16am
I was happy with the EXP and Acc MM combo but I think the AccMC is even better.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 19 Sep 2021 at 11:17am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClevedonGinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:36am
Hi Jon,

Thanks again for your reply, so if I have Acc MC is there a way of using my Nagaoka? Perhaps with another GS product?
Keep an Open Mind
GS Accession MC Silver
Technics SL1100 TT
Klipsch Forte 3 speakers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic