FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best upgrade proceedure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best upgrade proceedure?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:51pm
Hi All,

I've contacted John C and apparently it's possible to borrow both the Reflex M and Accession M at the same time through the loan scheme which is great since the phono stage is a critical piece in my vinyl-only system and I really think one of those two will be what I end up with.

I'm currently upgrading my entire system, but not really in small-step increments, I'm replacing components of sub-£1000 cost to those above £3000. I'm not yet very far down this road (only an Origin Live Resolution has replaced my rather aged Rega P25 so far).

So the issue I face is of the 'weakest link' variety, I realise cost is only a vague indicator of performance but I don't want to evaluate the Reflex and Accession if an as yet upgraded component is incapable of showing me the differences i.e. I don't want to discount the Accession at this stage and miss out on hearing it's full potential further down the line once my system has caught up with it.

I'm not sure there's a perfect solution to this, but I'd love to hear ideas on best course of action.

If it helps, my system as it stands - Origin Live Resolution, Rega fono MM, Naim nait 5i, epos M12.2, Slee solo, Cusat-50 and atlas explorer interconnects
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Oblongus Oblongus wrote:

I'm not sure there's a perfect solution to this, but I'd love to hear ideas on best course of action.

I'm going to guess your current rig is good enough to hear what both the Reflex and Accession can do. I wouldn't over-analyze until you have them and can actually hear these phono preamps. No matter which one you choose, neither are going to be outclassed by any upgrade you're talking about. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm
HI Oblongus and welcome.

A mate of mine  just up graded his turntable to Pro-j--t costing him over 2 grand and he has the Reflex M (He got it after I let him borrow mine) and he said that he thought that it could handle a turntable costing a hell of lot more, He also had it fitted with a Ortofon 2M black cart. But as you are going to loan both (I take it) I would wait till you get the chance to hear them both for your self in your system to see  which you prefer as it's you that is spending the money, not us on this forum. IF IT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm
For sure, and I am no doubt overanalyzing this problem, but I'm not worried that my system (at some point in the future) will 'outgrow' either the Reflex or Accession, rather that my system as it stands isn't good enough to show possible benefits of the Accession over the Reflex during a loan audition.

But I think I should just take a loan of both and see what happens.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:49am

For sure, and I am no doubt overanalyzing this problem, but I'm not worried that my system (at some point in the future) will 'outgrow' either the Reflex or Accession, rather that my system as it stands isn't good enough to show possible benefits of the Accession over the Reflex during a loan audition.

But I think I should just take a loan of both and see what happens.

I have both the Reflex M and the Accession. I got the Reflex first after a home loan as it was so much better than my Rega Fono. However I run 2 TT's, so I wanted a 2nd GSP as the Reflex was so good. I seriously contemplated getting another Reflex, but after discussing with the distributor here in Australia, I decided that for the proportional increase in cost I should just get the Accession.

I'm not sure my system is revealing enough to really tell the difference between the two, although the Accession is perhaps in my system just a bit more balanced but there is not much in it, and having the different RIAA eq and mono switch make it a bit more versatile.

The thing is for a relatively small increase in my initial investment I know that if I upgrade in the future the phono stages will be more than capable.

Definitely listen to both in your system but if you can't notice a difference, my suggestion is to get the best you can afford at the time as when you upgrade you would then reap the benefits.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
Thanks DT999, that's all very helpful, and as you say there are practical advantages to be taken into account also (in particular, mono switch and ability to use the Accession as a preamp. Equalisation options might be useful once in a blue moon).

Anyway, have just spoken to the very helpful John C and I'm now in the queue for a loan of both Reflex and Accession.

Exciting Big smile

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:38pm

Thanks DT999, that's all very helpful, and as you say there are practical advantages to be taken into account also (in particular, mono switch and ability to use the Accession as a preamp. Equalisation options might be useful once in a blue moon).

Anyway, have just spoken to the very helpful John C and I'm now in the queue for a loan of both Reflex and Accession.

Exciting Big smile

That is something I need to try. The Accession direct into my new amp. The problem is, every time it comes back, someone wants to borrow it, so off it goes for another few weeks. Wink
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic