FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best streamer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:03pm
Hi Rick,
My preference is for MoOde. I've tried Volumio, Rune and a few other older OSs in the distant past. I find MoOde has the best support and input from users. The forum (http://moodeaudio.org/forum/index.php) contains a wealth of information, a bit like this one!
As the uSD card only holds the OS, 8GB is plenty. You can partition the SD card and load music files there, but it has the disadvantage that when you update the OS the files may be lost. I have also found the best storage is an SSD with USB adaptor connected directly to the Pi's USB. New files can be loaded directly from your PC or Mac via your network.
Be mindful of the load on your Pi, make sure your power supply has sufficient capacity, at least a genuine 3 amps. There's no need to use a Pi4, the 3 series are plenty powerful enough and if you don't need WiFi the current Pi3A is reckoned to be best, possibly due to lack of WiFi interference.
Oh, and of course, I think it sounds best, but that's just my view.

Good Luck
Ian

Edit: Pi 3 Model A+ does have WiFi, but no Ethernet connection. So my assumption about reduced interference is nonsense. Confused Not sure where that info came from, busy rereading the MoOde forum for where that came from.

Edited by BackinBlack - 04 May 2020 at 5:13pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:04pm
16GB SD is plenty big for storing and running the OS.
Volumio seems to be popular.

If it were me I'd be putting piCorePlayer on it and running Squeezelite, but I already have a served network established.

Is the PSU the dual output linear device?

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 5:13pm
I use both MoOde and Volumio and get on well with them both.  I think Ian has a preference for MoOde.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
habitullence View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:35pm
Thanks, great info. I'll give MoOde and Volumio a try.

Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Is the PSU the dual output linear device?

Yes, product page here.

Also had some problems with Tidal Master playback in exclusive mode so thought I'd give Audirvana a try, seems to get better reviews than Roon for sound quality and I don't need any multi-room capabilities.

Straight away it sounds better than Tidal and is working properly with Master playback.

I need to look into the settings but there's a bunch of device specific stuff I'm not sure about for the Majestic.

I have three choices under 'Native DSD Streaming Method': None, convert to PCM, which then asks me for boost in dB from 0 to +6; DSD over PCM 1.0; and DSD over PCM 1.1. Can't find anything searching the forum, does anyone know what setting I should be using?

Edited by habitullence - 04 May 2020 at 8:52pm
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:42pm
Looks like Tidal doesn't support DSD and would only be pertinent with upsampling (source).

As upsampling's irrelevant in my case I guess I'll just leave this on none and the default +6 unless anyone knows better.

Edited by habitullence - 04 May 2020 at 8:53pm
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:51pm
Does the Majestic support integer mode?

Edited by habitullence - 04 May 2020 at 8:54pm
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:01pm
Are there firmware updates for the Majestic that might fix the pop when changing rates?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic