New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best App for accurately measuring turntable speed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best App for accurately measuring turntable speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ccmHiFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmHiFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best App for accurately measuring turntable speed
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:26am
Can anyone recommend an App for measuring turntable speed.

Thanks,
Chris
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:33am
If you find a good one let me know. I think mine is GPS based and as accurate as the compass App which has the sun rising in the north! Somebody loaded it for me so I couldn't tell you what it is. Also you need to have a record playing because stylus drag slows the revs ever so slightly. Have you considered a strobe mat?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:57pm
The RPM app appears to be reliable, but I don't have anything that is not a phone app to compare it to.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:28pm
I use a strobe disk but think the RPM app is probably accurate. If you want to check use a count down timer app... stick a little piece of tape or blutac on the edge of your platter, start the deck running with a record playing and count revolutions for ten minutes (or less!).

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ccmHiFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmHiFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:15am
Thanks for your suggestions,

I looked at the RPM and Turntabulator Apps and both confirmed my deck as running about 34.15-34.20 rpm.  I am aiming for around 33.5 (to take account of needle drag as per Graham's suggestion). 

Chris

Edited by ccmHiFi - 30 May 2018 at 8:26am
Rega Planar 6, Quad Elite Pre, Quad Elite QSP, Harbeth M30.1, External Phono TBD, TEAC DAC
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:10pm
Not very technical but I did it by ear. 
Played the same track on CD & vinyl started at approximately the same time. 
Kept switching between the two whilst tweaking DC motor pot up or down. 
Asked opinions of people, see what they were hearing. 
Got to a point where none of us could hear a difference in speed. 
Realise this is of no use to them what can’t adjust their rpm but that’s what I did for my LP12 with Inspire DC PSU. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:37pm
I agree that listening to the pitch works with a known reference and it also helps to spot any wow and flutter even if average speed is right.

A strobe is much easier/quicker if you are fine tuning speed on a dc motor. Essentially you're acting as a human tacho/servo!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic