FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Berlin Philharmonic Beethoven and Brahms LP sets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berlin Philharmonic Beethoven and Brahms LP sets
    Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:01am
Hi All,
   A while back I bit the bullet and purchased the Direct to Disc Brahms Symphonies cycle from the Berlin Phil and Simon Rattle. It was bloody expensive, but for it ended up being worth it. At the time I put the wonderful presence and immediacy of sound down to the D2D process, helped along a little by the two-point microphone set up, which gives a lovely natural perspective to the orchestra. No spot microphones at all means that wind solos aren't suddenly loud and huge in the soundstag, for example. Anyway, they're also wonderful interpretations of these standard pieces, stunningly presented in terms of physical product. That's a reputation that orchestra is building for their "home-brand" label.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I purchased the new LP box set of the Beethoven Symphonies for the same orchestra and conductor. I've owned the hi-res digital version since the day it was released, and honestly, it's really good. However, it simply didn't prepare me for what the LP set offered.

The vinyl set is taken from the same performances as the digital set, but use only the two-point microphone set up, again with no spot microphones at all. However, it's not D2D and it's been through the digital chain.

It's an understatement to say WOW!!! The same presence and orchestral perspective I experienced in the Brahms is there in the Beethoven! Switching back to the 24/192 version was a big let down! The sound is remarkably consistent through all nine symphonies and is an absolute joy.

If you love these pieces then this is a terrific set to own. Again, the physical product is exquisite.

Now, does anyone out there own the Furtwangler 13 LP set on Audite?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:32pm
Just a quick thank you Mick for the heads up on this set and yes it is not cheap, but beautifully produced and carefully packed arriving downunder direct from Berlin undamaged.
For anyone interested, it is worth noting that purchase of the LP set also includes choice of full digital downloads of the recordings in any or all of CD redbook, 24/96 or 24/192 resolution.
These digital files, unlike the digital set, are the recordings used for the LP production and use the same 2 point mic setup giving the same almost mid-hall perspective, Majestic owners will lose little when slumming it in convenience mode.
I did manage to resist the Audite Furtwangler set.  I do have an Accession MC to save for.
Tony G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:53pm
Hi Tony,
   Glad you enjoyed it! I have both sets and they get regular use, so I feel like the money has been justified (and I’m in music for a career so they’re a tax deduction!). As for the Audite Furtwangler set, I too tore myself up over spending the large sum on the LP set. In the end, however, I ended up purchasing the digital version from the Audite website. Letting the Majestic do its thing!

€45 for the CD box, €21 for the 24/48 download. BARGAIN!!!

Enjoy.
Mick.

Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:43pm
You have started my listening appetite gentlemen so I'm feeling empty in my wallet.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 5:35am
What’s a wallet for if not emptying? There are no locks and no interest paid, so I think the design positively begs to be utilised. 
Mick.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:14pm
I cheaped out and bought the 16/44 Redbook download version & added the download of the 1954 Lucerne Festival 9th and the Amadeus quartet RIAS Haydn recordings as well.  Might splash out on the LP version of the Lucerne 9th.
Comparison of the 1954 9th with the 1942 recording is interesting.  I have the MACD version of that performance, though I am led to believe that the SWF (members only) 1942 recording is the one to have.  I think even the silverfish will give up on my wallet as a food source :)
Tony G
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:18pm
Hi Mick,

I've been slowly working my way through the threads on the forum and I just read this one.

I have been hovering over the "Buy" button for the Beethoven set on the Berliner Philharmoniker website for months now. I first heard about it when Michael Fremer reviewed it on Analog Planet; He very highly recommends the set.

Reading your post got my desire to buy more music stirring again. I'm still on the fence, as I have several sets of Beethoven's nine symphonies and many single versions of individual symphonies in my collection. If I move forward I'll let you know.

Thanks for your post.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic