FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Become a test drive member!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Well, I am sure that I live too far away to be of any use in respect of beta testing even if I do have some references for comparison.

A ridiculous argument, if I ever heard one! TG, distances today are of no consequence whatsoever - quality of auditioning is a BIG thing, though.

Seven years ago, I organized a group test for the TNT site, and sure enough, one of my sites was North America with two blokes, and - gasp! - Australia as well. Why? Simple - the man in question was a truly top flight man, far too good to miss.

Trust me on this, in case of serious beta testing, and Graham knows full well what that is, take my word for it, distance is immaterial simply because the added cost of shipping is but a drop in the sea of overall model development cost. Yet, quality comments have no price tag, they are way beyond prices.

A good priest does what he preaches, so I go on record here - when I am ready to do beta testing, I will be getting in touch with you. I've listed you some time ago, as a matter of fact. Believe or disbelieve this as you will, but finding good beta testers is no less hard than developing the thing in the first place.

What I'd suggest to Graham here is that he draws up a list of his own of what should be tried and how (in brief terms), how to compare this with that, etc, then let you people come up with your own ideas, there's always a new twist on things out there well worth at least considering.

Rewards are relatively speaking automatic - in you case, simple economics ensure you get to keep the sample, shipping it back is stupid and ultimately, unfair. Surely a beta tester deserves something of a reward for his expertise. A question of honor more than economics.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 2:19pm

@dvv - sounds like your holiday did you good - glad to hear it.

It would take me longer than 8 hours to drive to the second largest Greek city in the world (Melbourne !)

I think you flatter me  Embarrassed

dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

@dvv - sounds like your holiday did you good - glad to hear it.

It would take me longer than 8 hours to drive to the second largest Greek city in the world (Melbourne !)

I think you flatter me  Embarrassed

TG, I NEVER flatter anyone, not even the ladies. Old fashoned as I am, I simply believe in truth as I see it. To be able to criticize, one must also be ready to state positive facts just as well as the negative ones.

In addition to which, over the years, I have discovered that you Aussies sit damn well with me; no idea why, but there you have it. Currently, my chief ambition is to haul my butt over to Australia to discover for myself why this is so. With a bit o' luck, my good wife will have a congress there at some point, and I will get there.

Getting back to the main subject, being a beta tester is no small task. What any manufacturer is looking for is somebody capable of disregarding his own preferences and being able to say that while something may not be to his liking, it is still good, and to list what that person feels could and should be improved.

For example, I have never worked with tubes, and never want to, but I can still produce a list of tube gear I really loved listening to music with. I am no friend of MOSFET output stages, but I'd still love to own a Perraux amp I heard as many as 20 years ago, a 100 watter which sounded really amazingly absent altogether.

I would never ever make a headphone amp the way Graham does - but I am happy to say Graham makes damn good headphone amps, even if I am just about ready to launch my own and thus become Graham's competitor. Eventually I will, but even so, Graham will still be making damn good headphone amps. Good is good, period.

Even then, I will still be hounding Graham to do something better (as I see it) than he does now. Just as he will keep on telling me I tend to go for overkill. And only you, the users, will have the final word. And that's how it should be, I think. In the end, Graham and I will probably end up doing something together, hopefully before we retire. LOL
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 1:07am
Looks like we have 7 volunteers - 6 above and "That hertz" from a different thread.

@dvv, I can't afford right now to give them away...

@all, the deal is 2 weeks and pass it on. If you feel happy about sending on to another country [possibility] and are happy paying the shipping to the next in line, then it's a goer.

If anybody doesn't want to give it back because they like it that much, well, we can negotiate, then I'll have to put another one on the circuit.

The other deal is a reasonably concise write up.

Last call for boarders!!!!

By the end of this week I'd like to have a rota in place. Let me know if you have any difficulties in the above.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 9:11am
As the impact of this thread is reaching fizzle-out point just at the time I'm wanting to establish a rota, I'm restarting it under a new thread entitled "last call for testers list"
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
j633295 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j633295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:14pm
I too would like to participate please. Thumbs%20Up
Ewald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:44am
Hi

Im about to make a decision on a headphone amp and Im trying to choose between the Solo Ultra Linear and a Tube amp.

It would be great if I could be a test member and try the solo amp in combination with my Ultrasone Edition 8.

Thanks !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic