FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Audio Technica AT-OC9X series MC cartridges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Technica AT-OC9X series MC cartridges
    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:29am
Hi all,
The latest AT-OC9X series cartridges look excellent value and well made. 
The top three models have Boron cantilevers and advanced stylus shapes - micro line types & Shibata.
Some good reviews and recommendations.
Any experience?
Thanks.

Elevator, Accession M, Majestic/Enigma, Reflex M, CuSat & Lautus.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 9:53am
Here's a section of a review in Stereo Times of the top cartridge in the range.
The reviewer used an Accession C and ReflexM/Elevator..

"The Audio Technica AT OC9 XSL strikes me as just that sort of successful‘do-it-all’ phono cartridge. Its $730 price makes it a supreme bargain. But it may also be its Achilles Heel, as it is simply too good for its price: tempting use with inadequate tonearms and phono stages or being bypassed altogether by those indoctrinated by the High-End High-Price dogma.
Still, the AT-OC9 XSL warrants an extremely high recommendation. It is a true breakthrough in sonic and musical communication at an affordable price. It does it all."
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
No experience, but I did look at one when buying my new MC recently. I was tempted by the ML version, as I was not sure the SL would get you an awful lot more for the money?

In the end, I jumped in an entirely different direction.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:05pm
I am due to replace my Hana SL soon and will now take a look at the AT OC9 versions.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:25am
The reviewer mentions how critical SRA/VTA is with the XSL stylus - meaning a tonearm with good
height adjustment and a bit of patience in setting up is required for this version to get the best out of it.

The other stylus profiles in the range may be less fussy about setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic