FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Anyone running KEF speakers??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone running KEF speakers??
    Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 5:51pm
As I carry on the HiFi upgrading I'm finding myself wondering if my speakers are the weak link now..?

I have a few systems (like any other HiFi junky).  The one in question, which I have never been happy with TBH, consists of Inspire DC Carbon LP12 & 
Rev M powered by an Arcam AVR850 run in a Bi-Amped configuration (I'm running 5.1. this thing can do 7.2 so has amps to spare for 2 channel listening).
Current speakers are Monitor Audio Silver RS floor standers.
Cables are Chord Chorus RCA & QED Silver Bi-Wire.

I don't use the REL 12" sub for 2 channel music & I want more slam/bass.

Always liked the cut of KEF's jib, at the higher end at least.  Maybe L*nn speakers too?  They will be second hand, I don't have new PMC type cash.

Any recommendations folks?

Edited by Old skool - 07 Sep 2018 at 6:25pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 5:54pm
I have a pair of Q100's as the front speakers for home cinema and gave them an extended audition as my stereo left and right speakers powered by the excellent Proprius amps. They were second hand and the smallest cabs in the range that year so some bass compromises but the coincident drivers do work well. KEF have produced more advanced and larger UniQ speakers since then including the LS50's. I would certainly suggest a demo to see if you like the sound.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 07 Sep 2018 at 10:51pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 6:25pm
1 vote for KEF then
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 8:11pm
K E F 105.4 in the " music room" had them for over 38 years!!

lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:45pm
must be a big old room. 

Thinking more the model 3s maybe 
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
Not sure if mine qualify, they are DIY 103.2s (Kit designation CS3s) made from a Wilmslow kit bought when their shop was actually in Wilmslow, in 1983! I chose them as they were the largest I thought my wife would find acceptable but still big enough to produce a really good sound. They were sold as bookshelf speakers and about 22 litres and a little larger than LS3/5s (Kit designation CS1), however I use them floor mounted. I really wanted speakers with 3 drivers but those choices were just too large for the space we had then. 
Bottom line is that they have matured into superb elements of my HiFi. They have outlived three power amp upgrades and seem to have sonically just got better and better, I think there is definite maturing process for speakers even though the 'timber' used is man made MDF. 
I am not very good at comparative sound tests, unless it is instant switch, I just know if I hear something wrong, it jars. Over the years what has jarred has always been down to a source or one of the electronic elements, never the speakers.
I have not listened to KEF's more recent models but I do trust their designs.
So from my limited experience, I guess that is one vote from me.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:04am
My very first ever "proper" speakers were KEF Celeste 4s, way back in the early 1980's. Excellent for the price at the time and U.K. made.
I do have a pair of KEF LS50 (Chinese madeThumbs Down) stand mounters which are very good - look nice along with performing well!
Not a patch on my superb old Proac SC1s though.Thumbs Up
Make up your short list, then go and listen.
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic