FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Any Moving Iron cartridge fans out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 12:03pm
A good analogy.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 12:31pm
The venerable Ortofon VMS series cartridges use the moving iron principle, where the moving iron taakes the form of a small tube to reduce weight. The moving mass is possibly the lowest you can get, even lower than many MCs.
I have two VMSmkII bodies and a selection of stylus assemblies, including a NOS VMS 30 MkII which still sounds really good, although I suspect that the suspension is now not at it's best. The linearity and smooth presentation of the treble is still quite exceptional. One peculiarilty is that the recommended capacitive load is a relatively high 400pF. Ortofon made a clip in 2 x 200pF capacitor which fitted between the cartridge terminals to help achieve this load.
So, yes I'm a fan of MI cartridges.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 12:46pm
Thanks Ian. Yes, the reduction in moving mass does seem to be key to MI's good performance . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 5:51pm
Yes a close relative replaced a v15iii with a vms20e and 30e and also an aftermarket parablic stylus -long time ago now in late 70s I remember the 30e as smooth an pleasant though the parabolic more dynamic. This was before moving to a koetsu black and later rosewood they still bring back very pleasant memories.
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:14pm
I rather like the Moving Iron cartridges. I have the Nagaoka mp-500 on my Lp12/Audiomods setup. It is really a nice sound. Not quite the shimmer of a good MC but very close. I also have a Grado Sig body with an 8mz stylus. This is a really nice sound for not a boat load of money. I find the Grado works well in a damped arm. I use this one on my Denon dp-755/Audioquest pt-9 which has fluid damping. I have an Stanton 681eee on my Denon dp59L which is in my living room system. I am also a fan of the old AKG line. I use to have the AKG-7 on a Phillips 212 and the 8 on my old Conny BD1 with a Grace 707. Both of these were way better than I had a right to have considering I got them for cost from a friend who worked P/time in a small shop. So yes I like my Iron
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 12:18pm
^^ Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
dolsey01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolsey01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:47pm
My first MI cartridge was a Grado Sonata, but unfortunately it had hum issue on the table I had at the time, a Music Hall MMF-5.  But once I heard it I just could not get it out of my head, so I ended up getting a Music Hall MMF-7 with the stand alone motor and a Grado Sonata again and was so happy for a few years.  Fast forward and along came an opportunity to get a Goldring 2400 (Nagaoka) and I was pleasantly surprised how good is sounded for the cost but that Grado sound just was stuck in my head.  Now I currently have an early VPI Classic which also has hum issues with Grado cartridges so I went ahead and tried another MI cartridge, the Soundsmith Zephyr because it was made to go with VPI tables.  I'm now finally over my Grado affair and have become such a Soundsmith fan.  Beautiful sound and I don't need an SUT or MC preamp. 
Sean - My 2CH System:
VPI Prime/Soundsmith Zephyr
Rogue Audio 99 Magnum w/Phono
Rogue Audio Eighty-Eight
Martin Logan Electromotion ESL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic