FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Any Moving Iron cartridge fans out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Moving Iron cartridge fans out there?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 4:12pm
Some years ago I was seduced by the Dark Side, aka Moving Coil Nirvana, and have built up a little stable of MCs of which I'm very happy with - especially a NOS Yamaha MC-1x . . .

But - a recent acquisition to my "high output" collection has got me thinking anew. An Osawa OS301 (from the guy behind Nagaoka and Shelter, it seems) - has been thoroughly entertaining me for the past couple of weeks, with an energetic, detailed and well balanced sound. A product of being Moving Iron it seems. It does lack that "MC sparkle" in the high frequencies, but that sort of presentation could just as well be an artefact of MC reproduction, and not actually "natural" (whatever that may be!).

Those who watched that video of Peter Ledermann's talk about cartridge design that I posted recently will have heard how MI carts (like Soundsmith's own range) have a far lower moving mass than MM and MC, and that the reduction in mass lets the stylus react quicker without such a big resistance, allowing a better performance (other things being equal).

I was hoping someone may like to comment on their experiences or likes or dislikes of moving iron carts. . . 

There's not a lot online about Osawa carts, but did find this (use Google translate if your German isn't too good Wink).

And here's the plain-jane OS301 on my Sony Biotracer:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 6:12pm
I don't think I've ever heard a MI cart, but I found that vid really interesting. I'm tempted to try to find a not too expensive one I can set up on my spare TT and compare it to the Quintet Black that's on it at the moment.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 7:02pm
I think some of the Goldring MM cartridges are actually MI if that helps.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:28am
Currently using a Cartridge Man Music Master MI, which is a development of the Music Maker
but with a much smaller micro line contact stylus & a sapphire cantilever along with other
changes.
It has exceptional detail resolution & soundstaging, & seems to dig out far more from the
record than the Music Maker (which is about half its cost).

Also heard good reports of some of the top end Grado MIs but not tried one yet.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:35am
Those are reworked Grados aren't they, Rich? Like Soundsmith's offerings I've only ever seen postiive comments about them . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:43am
Bob I think the MusicMaker/Master cartridges only use the Grado body - the rest is different
& of Len Gregory's design.
I was firmly told this on another forum when I posted that they share parts.Ouch
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:44am
Ah. I stand corrected! It's like the Audiomods arm being a "reworked" Rega then . . .Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic