FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Any advice for first turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:59pm
I agree with the above. I rebuilt my CA 640 with new parts and it sounded a lot better. The Genera was in another league and the Reflex M is outstanding. It makes my P3-24/Exact sound great and the SL1210/MM3 sounds wonderful.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
rustyp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:54pm
Hi

I have a daftie question

The cart I have is a Dynavector which is moving coil

The phono stages all appear to be able to operate both but there is mention of a separate step up required

Notice a couple are for mc only the gran amp 3 being one

I am keen to do the lone service but a bit confused at present- apologies for my dimness!!!
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:56pm
Is it a low output or a high output mc?
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:32pm
The Dynavector 10x5 is a high-output moving coil so can be used with a MM phono amp.

Graham's philosophy is to have one box do one thing very well, and therefore produces different phono amps for MM and MC (low-output). The Elevator EXP however is a pre-phono amplifier raising the level of a low output MC to that needed by a MM phono amp.

But with your 10x5, you only need to borrow MM amps . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
rustyp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:01pm
Cheers
Many thanks
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

The Dynavector 10x5 is a high-output moving coil so can be used with a MM phono amp.

Graham's philosophy is to have one box do one thing very well, and therefore produces different phono amps for MM and MC (low-output). The Elevator EXP however is a pre-phono amplifier raising the level of a low output MC to that needed by a MM phono amp.

But with your 10x5, you only need to borrow MM amps . . . 

yeah....what Bob said....Wink
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:57am
SO, I have been listening to my SL1200 for a while now with the AT95E cartridge. I think it is about time to upgrade the cartridge.

Graham recommends the Goldring 1042. There must be a good reason for it.
Any others to consider?

Just a quick reminder of my system:
Technics SL1200 Mk2 - Achromat, Isonoe, Sumiko headshell
Reflex M
Solo Ultra Linear
HD 650s

The turntable is pretty much standard, so should I think about changing the interconnect at the same time?

I am also going to get myself a weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic