FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Any advice for first turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any advice for first turntable?
    Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:44am
Hi as someone who has not seen vinly for 25 years and then only had very cheap stuff, can you recommend a turntable? I am thinking of something like a Rega RP3 (Technics 1200), or that sort of price range. If there is something second hand also interested in advice. Plan to link to solo UL and Am thinking of the reflex, but once again any advice would be appreciated for a newbie! And as a double check, I am assuming something like this would give me better sound that a CD player and CD!
Also should I be looking at MM or MC. I understand a lot is personal preference but some pointers would be very helpful! Thanks in advance for any help.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:21am

Either of those two tables should give you a more than satisfactory experience.

I would perhaps tend toward the SL 1200 more than the Rega (though I own both a hot-rod Rega and an SL 1200) - the operational convenience and ease of cartridge change, along with the solidity of build of the Technics all count in its favour.

There is a thread here with a few tweaks that are worth doing to the Technics.

I am a Denon fan and can recommend the DL-110 HOMC for use with the Reflex M and the 1200.

There are a good number of MM cartridges that will work well with this table, the Goldring 1042 receives good reports as also the Stanton 681 (if you can find one),  the AT-95, 120 and 150MLX.  

Any of the above cartridges will give a good performance, some an exceptional one and none should be over $500, the AT-95 can be had for $50 and the 120 not a lot more. 

As to whether this would better the sound from a CD player depends in part on the CD player in question and in part on how well set up the cartridge and table are and how well cleaned your records are - there is a little more to it than closing the tray and pressing play Wink

For myself, I would prefer to listen to records generally, despite having several reasonable CD players.

Hope this is some help.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:22am
Technics 1200 is a no brainer apart from the fact that Panasonic must have lost their brains by discontinuing it...

Far better than my RP3 especially using a Goldring 1042.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the advice, looks like I have some hunting to do. Also any thoughts on ORIGIN LIVE Aurora turntable in comparison? Thanks again.
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 8:22pm
Is there anything I should watch out for when looking for the technics 1200, as assume it will be second hand?
And we are talking about MM rather than MC?

Edited by Frostg - 26 Feb 2012 at 9:34pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Frostg Frostg wrote:

Is there anything I should watch out for when looking for the technics 1200, as assume it will be second hand?
And we are talking about MM rather than MX?

I'm sorry, I can't talk about it - I am still in mourning Cry

I'm a giving sort of guy and I can't believe the heartless big business execs would murder such friends as the Technics SL1200 and Sennheiser HD250II - you need to be sitting here where I am with a Technics SL1200 sporting a 1042 (MM cart) playing into "some preamplification" on my test rack into a pair of HD250II's. It's the closest thing to heaven on earth!

I cannot believe the heartlessness of those execs and all those merciless hit-men in forum land. Breadfans! Angry

It is literally the end of the world!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:56pm
Welcome back to vinyl and hello to you Frostg.

Having owned and upgraded an Rega P3-24 and a 1210 mk2, I too would spend £400+ on a second hand SL1200/1210 (silver or black versions) mark 2 (£150-200) and a decent MM cartridge like the Goldring 1042 (£200+). You will need a decent phono preamp, of course...

Once over on an SL1200/1210
Check the arm isn't bent and it seems to move smoothly across the record. Check the headshell fits. Plug in and check it operates i.e. speed controls and strobe. Check it spins normally and quietly, and keeps its speed with slight finger friction. Check for any cracks in the metal top/chassis. Ask to take the metal platter off and check the muck underneath, especially anything metallic stuck to the magnets. It's heavy but unplug, shake and listen for rattles. Ideally play a record, otherwise plug into an amp with a phono input and set the volume low then listen for hum, then carefully touching the red (R+) connector on the cartridge followed by the white (L+) - both should hum briefly, otherwise the arm wiring is damaged.

Read up a bit on alignment (how to fit the cartiridge correctly in the headshell) and you'll be glad you did. There's a very good Technics alignment protractor with instructions on Vinyl Engine.

Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead here, but I think we are all looking forward to sharing your ecstatic posting about how great records sound!

Best wishes Jon

Edited by Fatmangolf - 26 Feb 2012 at 11:20pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic